Seen these "Rocket Flaps" Trim Tabs?

James Bond

Seaman
http://www.rocketflap.com/frame2.htm <br /><br />They seem pretty cool, but look like there's too much stuff to go wrong with them once they get clogged up with water muck. You can take them apart to clean them though, but that's always a hassle. They look good IMO, I like the colors ;)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Seen these "Rocket Flaps" Trim Tabs?

Must be Nauti-john's Patent has run out.......<br /><br />These look like a Plastic Knock-off of John's Tabs........<br />now you have a Choice.......<br />Smart-Tabs.... John's SSteel Tabs....<br />Or,<br />These Plastic 1s........

John_S

Rear Admiral

From a quick read, they seem to have "tighter" mounting constraints, probably because the rams need to fill with water. Using water would seem to me, to be problematic. According to the site, the tabs are made of stainless. I do like the easy disassembly and removal from boat. The cost is more than John's smart tabs. <br /><br />Proven and less expensive vs color choice and easy removal. Sounds like a good shootout test for a boating mag. ;-0 <br /><br />For my selection, I didn't read anything that would really entice me to choose the rocket tabs over smart tabs.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing at all against the UK, but that's where this company is - couldn't even come close to Smart Tabs customer service.<br /><br /> And they cost more!<br /><br />No-brainer in my book!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

I would never put down inovation, and these are just that. <br /><br />Although we have not seen any in the USA or tested them, from what we have read there are some significant differences when compared to Smart Tabs. (our patent has 11 more years to run and we do not see this product as an infringement.)<br /><br />In the deployed position the cylander fills with water (through a valve). When the boat proceeds forward the water pressure on the plate attempts to compress the water which offers resistance and holds the plate down. This obviously provides lift and the boat should plane easier. As the boat speed increase the water bleeds off to the point that the plates retract to a horizontal position.<br /><br />From what we can determine the "Game" is over at this point as it seems the boat needs to come to a stop before the tabs deploy, and the water re-enters the cylander. In other words ther is no on going resistance/pressure to control the ride, porpoising, tracking, etc. There seems to be a spring to push the plate back down at rest but it is unclear if the spring has any significant resistance to control ride and handling. Also it does not appear that this spring is adjustable.<br /><br />The concern would be how well the unit works over a period of time and a build up of salt or other growths in the water. Their stated ability to clean the system would leave one to think that this is a maintenance issue.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Very well put. Glad to see youre keeping on top of things like this.

James Bond

Seaman

Bondo, obviously you didn't read anything before commenting on it, because your observations are false. Like stated above, these ARE stainless steel, they've just been powdercoated different colors (which I happen to like, maybe Smart-Tabs can do that?!?!?!?).<br /><br />I actually first noticed these about 6 months ago, when I was first looking to purchase my boat, and since coming to this website, I have yet to see anything at all on them, so I figured nobody knew of them at all. Just thought I'd throw another option into the mix, whether it's good or bad.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

To James;<br /><br />We have chosen to produce the Smart Tabs with a mirror / polished finish because most often the boats are trailerd. We felt that they should be a compliment to the chrome / polished cleats, rails, etc. <br /><br />Painting or powder coating would increase the cost and the number of units our dealers and distributors would need to stock. They would resist and probably refuse to do this.<br /><br />Our new (coming out this fall) larger sets (boats up to 30 feet) will be matte finished since they will be on boats that stay in the water (mostly) and should be painted with the bottom paint used for the hull.<br /><br />Each to his own!

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Nautijohn, I have aset of 60s that i got from you and they are painted white. just wondering.J,C,

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

jc1033;<br /><br />The white film is a protective cover for the mirror finish to keep them from getting scratched.<br /><br />You should remove it as the water will lift it off anyway.<br /><br />Sorry that we did not show this in the instructions.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

The tabs work verry wel even with the paint,ha ha. Thanks for the reply. J,C.

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nauti-John.. I think I mentioned that some people ( me included ) might easily forget to remove the film. I wonder how many "white" ones are running around the bays and lakes?? <br /><br />I'm still a big fan of my SmartTabs's and can't figure out why someone would bring out a product that works off of water pressure only AND sells for more money than Smart Tabs??? RichG

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi Rich;<br /><br />Nice to hear from you and hope all is well up north!