Seen Mt. St Helens lately?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Seen Mt. St Helens lately?

Yah heard a few months back it was grumbling. At that time the volcano experts were predicting a significant increase in activity. :eek: Guess they were correct. :)

ZmOz

Captain

I had ash from St. Helens all over my truck some weeks ago. Apparently there was a thunder storm with clouds that had picked up ash over the mountain, and dropped it all over my house. :eek:

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Seen it earlier today....On the back of a QUARTER! :rolleyes:

KRS

Banned

Sandpoint wouldn't be my first choice of real estate when she blows again.

LubeDude

Admiral

Every time I see that mountain, I have to be amazed at what happened. If you get a chance to see a discovery channel program on Mt St Helens, ya should watch it. Quite amazing.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've watched that show on Discovery. I agree LD, it is amazing.<br /><br />Seems like someone could use that energy to produce electric. I hear that in some places they do use the valcano to produce steam to run generators. I can't remember where I heard or saw about it from.<br /><br />LD, does that ash tear up the paint on cars? Seems like it would be abrasive.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

ss its iceland that uses geo-thermal energy to produce electricity almost free!(cant run your boat on it!)

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> Sandpoint wouldn't be my first choice of real estate when she blows again.
Sandpoint Naval Station is up north towards Seattle, not much to fear from St Helens, but look out when Mt Rainier blows.. Again! <br />ZmOz<br />That was just St Helens spitting at Mt Hood :D

D

DJ

When one of those "blows its top" it will make Katrina look like a spring rain.<br /><br />We have NO idea of the world changing power under one of those rubble heaps.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> When one of those "blows its top" it will make Katrina look like a spring rain.<br /><br />We have NO idea of the world changing power under one of those rubble heaps.
Fortuneately St. Helens already blew it's top, so even if it went again damage would be minimal. Mt. Hood is the only one we really have to worry about around here, and it's still dormant. (fer now :eek: )

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he meant Sandpoint, ID. But not totaly sure.<br /><br />Craig

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Nice website. I pulled a couple of nice backgrounds of the mountain. Thanks for the link.<br /><br />Dave..

D

DJ

Fortuneately St. Helens already blew it's top, so even if it went again damage would be minimal. Mt. Hood is the only one we really have to worry about around here, and it's still dormant. (fer now
Don't count your blessings. There is building "DOOM" under that hill. Once "popped" doesn't mean dead.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If he meant my Sandpoint, I can vouch that it wasn't pleasant the first time. Ash for days, not cool. Anything east of St. Helens takes it hard. If it goes again, who knows how bad it will be. Maybe a lava event this time instead of pyroclastic (sp?) flow...

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> When one of those "blows its top" it will make Katrina look like a spring rain.<br /><br />
If that were to happen on Mt Raineir, the death tole would be enormous. Ording is righ in its path. :eek:

PW2

Commander

St Helens is a classic cinderdome volcano--very little iron in it and eruptions tend to be explosive, and not cause lava flows.<br /><br />Rainier, OTOH is rich in iron and during an eruption would tend to produce massive lava flows, as opposed to an explosion. That's not to say it would not cause problems, as the entire Rainier valley all the way to puget sound is volcanic in origin--There are lots of people living between Mt Rainier and Puget Sound.<br /><br />Not to worry, though. Far more likely in that area is a massive earthquake and resulting tsunami

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with link.<br /> when rainer pops its top the results could be devestating. I think the causualty estimates are about 1.5 million. something like 2.5 million will be in the path of the worst case mud flows. they say in about 30 min from top pop to mud in the puget sound will be about right depending on the time of year. they also say its grumbling too.