Securing Outdrive

Sponge Bob

Cadet
Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I've been lurking here for quite some time. There's a wealth of information and knowledgeable people here. I've learned a lot. Anyway...<br /><br />I picked up my first boat last night, 1981 Larson Citation, 19' bowrider, 165hp I/O. While towing it home, I noticed in my rearview that the steering wheel was moving lock to lock. (outdrive flopping around) I pulled over and put a strap around it to the port side to hold it still. Is there a better way to secure it? Could this method possibly damage the outdrive? Should I be using a transom saver? Thanks.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Securing Outdrive

Try lashing down the steering wheel.

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They make a plastic collar, called a "trailering clip", that you cut-to-length so it fits on the exposed rods of your tilt/trim cylinders when the outdrive is fully raised. This will keep the drive from bouncing up and down. I can't imagine what is causing yours to go side to side, unless one of your tilt/trim cylinders is defective and making one side spongy.<br /><br />Welcome to the board.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bungee cord the steering wheel or bungee cord the outdrive to one side. It just demonstrates you have a well lubed outdrive or well worn.<br /><br />Bob

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas. I have a strap that I'm using to eliminate the side to side swing. I'll have to get some of those trailering clips too. Thanks again.