Seawater Pump Leak

Jake007

Seaman
I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi engine 1998 and noticed that I have a drip leak from my seawater pump. I plan to take a closer look at it this weekend to see exactly where the leak is coming from. If the leak is from the pulley side I guess I need to replace the whole pump. If it is from the hose side I am guessing that it is just an empellor kit that is needed. There are two kits availible at my local store. One with the o ring and empellor and one that they have to ordr which includes the end gasket.

Q. Are my assumptions above correct?
Q. Is it OK to just change the empellor and o ring but not the gasket? or should I order the kit with the gasket?
Q. Any special tips to get the empellor out/in or is this a straight and easy job?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seawater Pump Leak

The water pump will likely need to be replaced. An impeller kit isn't going to fix a leak.

If yours is the type that does NOT sit on the crankshaft, you just pull out the whole pump and change the impeller.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

If yours is the type that does NOT sit on the crankshaft, you just pull out the whole pump and change the impeller.

bruce, i think the seawater impellerpump never sits on the cranshaft and you misinterprete it with the recirculating pump on the volvos.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bruce, i think the seawater impellerpump never sits on the cranshaft and you misinterprete it with the recirculating pump on the volvos.

Most Volvo engines have the raw water pump mounted on the crankshaft vibration dampner. Been that way for years. There was some years (94-98) that had belt driven pumps. This was during the Volvo/OMC joint venture era. After Volvo bought out OMC in 98, the 99 model went back to the crankshaft mounted raw water pump and remains that way today.

Here is typical for 93 and earlier V8 engines 93 and earlier.jpg

Here is typical for 99 and later V8 engines. 99 and later.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Mine is the LK(97 year) model and is not on the crankshaft.

VP3857794_1_site.jpg

Jake007

Seaman

Yes, my seawater pump is the same as the photo in bruceb58 post, which is belt driven.
So, back to my original questions, which kit should I buy? Tips on install.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no kit to fix a leaky pump, as Bruce stated, when they leak you replace the pump. If it's leaking at the other end, then it's a hose that could be leaking, or the gasket between the pump housing and the end cap housing.
As a rule of thumb, Gaskets are NEVER reusable.

For parts, you can get them right here at iboats, here is a link to the parts catalogs Volvo Penta Engine Part Catalog - Volvo Penta
Might as well learn how to use them.
You will need to get the full model number of your engine, year is only the year of your boat, engine and drive may not be the same model year. Very common in boats.

Jake007

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. I brought it into the shop and they are changing out the pump with a new one. When they opened up the old one they said there was a screw that holds things in place the had broken off inside and recommended pump replacement. $$. Well at least it should be fixed and solid for awhile.