Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Vessel Assist

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SeaTow vs. BOATUS Vessel Assist?

i prefer sea tow, due to location, it is all over Florida. you really need to check locations of the stations for each company, and where you are going to be boating. i also have their trailer coverage, on my big boat. AAA does not cover a trailer.

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I chose Sea Tow, because I always see their bright yellow boats all over the Delaware where I boat
The others may be there as well, but Sea Tow just stands out
Ans as mentioned, Sea Tow will cover your trailer

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

SeaTow. They have a boat moored 2 miles downstream from me. As the others have said, choose the one that is closer to your boating area.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I dont know if you are at a marina or not, or have a group of boaters that you boat with, but at my marina we all monitor the same channel in case anyone gets stranded. If anyone is in trouble, he will have a fleet come for him. If you have a good boating community around you, you will never have to pay for a tow. I am always one of the boats that will go out to help, because I know one day it will be my turn, and karma can be a real $%^#@

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I will be going out of Los Angeles Harbor area they both offer service to that area. The reason I asked is because the Vessel Assist comes with discounts at West Marine and membership in BOATUS. But on the other hand they have a limited distance they will tow, 100 miles in Southern California. I didn't see that restriction in the Sea Tow literature.

Sea tow appears to be the early favorite.

Jason

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I get on channel 9/16 and call the coast guard. They tow for free.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Since I will be going out of Los Angeles Harbor area they both offer service to that area. The reason I asked is because the Vessel Assist comes with discounts at West Marine and membership in BOATUS. But on the other hand they have a limited distance they will tow, 100 miles in Southern California. I didn't see that restriction in the Sea Tow literature.

Sea tow appears to be the early favorite.

Jason

Read the small print on the Seatow Brochure. You?re only covered in the local operator's area back to your slip. They don't define that local operator's area so you?ll need to contact the local operator to see your coverage area.

FWIW: You?re covered for up to $5K in coverage outside the coverage area. I think you would be hard pressed to get towed back in from 100 miles out for under $5K

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not always anymore! If it is not life threatening such as sinking or fire they usually will call a commercial tow service for you.

Jason

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whoever is at my home port! For years it was Sea Tow. Now it's BoatUS. No real sense in prefering one over the other for me...

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not any more. In fact the Coast Guard and the Auxiliary are prohibited from towing in a non-emergency situation if you have the ability to communicate. Since you called the CG, you have the ability to communicate and can call a commercial tow company. In non-emergency situation the CG must give commercial tow companies the first opportunity to assist.

BillP

Captain

BoatUS Towboats for me. They do more than SeaTow and I don't have to worry about unethical business practices. BoatUS has more stations where I boat, they do 50 miles offshore and also cover the upper Bahamas. For an additional $10 they cover trailering asstance. My super duper AAA club doesn't cover trailer assistance. BoatUS NEVER makes or surprises you with salvage claims like SeaTow is known to do...and is well documented if you research it.

I'm in Florida but BoatUS has just set up several com towers along the coast to cover S.Ca and mexico to eliminate that coverage gap.

bp

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Sea Tow... never had a problem with them - and never heard of any problems.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have seen the CG towing small craft into the harbor on a number of occassions. Probably depends on where your boating, amount of traffic, etc. Where I boat, there are very few small craft, and they can easily tow small craft. And they don't spend much time handing out tickets, so I think they have the time to give the small guy a break.

Anyway, my insurance is through State Farm, and I have full tow reimbursement and $500 worth of on water service (out of fuel, clogged filter, etc).

BTW, in addition to the CG, the Harbor Master cruises around with his big 45 strapped to his waist, and the Sheriff has a boat, and the local Police Department has a boat. Thats a lot of law enforcement cruising around the harbor on a Saturday afternoon. Guess everyone likes to be out on the water!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BoatUS Towboats for me. They do more than SeaTow and I don't have to worry about unethical business practices. BoatUS has more stations where I boat, they do 50 miles offshore and also cover the upper Bahamas. For an additional $10 they cover trailering asstance. My super duper AAA club doesn't cover trailer assistance. BoatUS NEVER makes or surprises you with salvage claims like SeaTow is known to do...and is well documented if you research it.

I'm in Florida but BoatUS has just set up several com towers along the coast to cover S.Ca and mexico to eliminate that coverage gap.

bp

I don't "prefer" either one. I have BoatUS because of the trailer.