seat removal help

toddbritton

Recruit
i have a bayliner capri and i am wanting to remove my seats they are the seats that sit back to back and lay down flat and put in 4 rotating chairs like the captains seat has anyone ever removed these seat and no how hard it would be to do and if it would be worth doing ant all thanks for any help

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: seat removal help

Shouldn't be too difficult, they're usually just screwed to the floor of the boat. Fold the seats partially down and stick your head under the seat and look around. Remove all the screws that you find. Then lift the seat out.

fkalich

Recruit
Re: seat removal help

Hi: Found this slightly old message, hopefully you are still reading this. That fellow probably was talkign about seats similar to my 87 bayliner. I believe they must be epoxyed or something to the floor, and also to the side of the boat (hull) and then both floor and side of pedestal given thin layer of fiberglass. I don't think they are screwed down. I will post a message that I put on a different forum (don't think I will get an answer there though). As I have 5 months till spring, and my fingers are raw from cutting and prodding and such to see what I was dealing with, tearing up the floor in places to get a handle on what is below, not taking any chances while doing so, I am going to wait to proceed till I get some real clarity on the seats. I am pretty convinced now the stringers and transom bulkhead are solid, so happy for the time being, even though I am now commited, as I have put some serious holes in plywood in safe places to figure things out as best I could.<br /><br />Here is my former post:<br /><br />Hi: New to boating, winter project, bought Capri, winterized. and going to replace deck. I believe the stringers are solid (learned a new word). Floor was not that bad, just soft in center where the skis go, and bow aisle. A couple cross sections were rotted, specifically the one in front of the gas tank, and at bow. That I how I could get to the stringers without ripping the whole floor off. Stringers were solid there, rot had not reached them, and those really seem the only vulnerable spots. I probably will put some CPES (the rotdoctor stuff looks good to me, not sure I I will go with them or one of the others though). In the bulkhead things look real solid, no indication of any softness. Oh the engine is probably pretty go, rebuilt a few years ago. Ok, I know I am nuts to do this, but I am going to replace that floor, and have ripped out parts of it already.<br /><br />However getting into unknown territory. Can anyone give me some advice on removing the lounge seats? The boat will just be for me and the dog, so probably will not want lounge chairs (although not positive). I have obsessively research, I know where the fiber covered stringers are (and they are probably solid all through), and then that floation soft stuff between deck and bottom, and then the hull becomes the last part of floor at the edge. However the pedestal seats are confusing me. I expect that is epoxyed to the deck wood, and also to the hull on the side. Not sure how to get those out, am not going to proceed until I am sure of what I am dealing with here, don't want to damage the hull.<br /><br />Oh, I know to get all the gas out of the tank before I go further. Not worth going up in flames over it. Also will leave the cap off I think while I am working so no pressure (there will still be a little gas I am sure).<br /><br />Thanks, any advice on removing the seat appreciated. Again, I don't expect to reuse them, and if it makes it a lot easier, well I can destroy them to get them out.