Seaswirl 2002 striper dc

Knotiboy

Seaman
Hi folks,<br /><br />I'm new here and a newbie in boats.I find this site very informative with a wealth of information. <br />My questions are that I'm considering a Seaswirl 2002 18feet with a 115HP Evinrude .I would like to know if this is a good model to buy and also up to what size waves can this boat take.<br /><br />Regards<br />Robert

Knotiboy

Seaman
Re: Seaswirl 2002 striper dc

Oh I forgot, I have a Montana 2001 and was wondering if I can pull the boat without burning the motor?<br />Thanks<br />Robert

mattttt25

Commander

i really like the stripers, nice boats. at 18 ft and 115hp, you probably don't want to venture into more than 1-2 ft seas. this is true 2 ft seas, most people judge seas higher than they really are. if you boat in the bays and inlets, you'll have fun. wouldn't tackle the ocean much if i were you. enjoy-

Knotiboy

Seaman

Mattttt25,<br />What would be the minimum size then if I did want to tackle the ocean sort of speak?

mattttt25

Commander

just my opinion, but 24' with twins would be the minimum i'd have to head any distance offshore. if you're going to hang close, the 18' may be fine. i just figure i want to make it home alive each day. if i break down in the bay, eventually i'll drift to shore. the ocean is a different story.

Knotiboy

Seaman

I see,but where does offshore start from the land, for example;1 mile ect.<br />Thanks

mattttt25

Commander

tough to answer, all depends where you are and what the layout is. it comes down to your comfort level. if you can get out into the ocean a few miles and there are other boats around, you may decide you're ok. if you break down, you can always call on vhf and get some help. this is a real personal decision. some people will go 10 miles off shore in a 18' and not think twice.