Seastar or Uflex Hydralic Steering?

Jomusky

Cadet
I'm finally upgrading from cables to hydralic steering. Engine is a 200 EFI Mercury 97'<br /><br />A guy who seems very knowledgable in steering is telling me to go with Uflex.<br /><br />What are your thoughts, experiences?<br /><br />I do know Seastar is made in British Columbia and has a longer lead time on parts, as well as about $100 more.

Jomusky

Cadet
Re: Seastar or Uflex Hydralic Steering?

Does anybody have any knowledge or opinions of Uflex Hydralic Steering?<br /><br />Your help would be appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This might get more/better response in the Boat Forum, Jomusky.<br /><br />I will move it there for you.

studlymandingo

Commander

I hear it is a great steering system, I personally haven't had any experience on any of my boats, but a buddy of mine has a Uflex on his 24' Center Console, and he really likes the performance.<br /><br />How does the price of the two units compare?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations on your choice to move to hydraulic steering, in Australia is illegal to use a single cable push / pull steering setup on an outboard of 175hp or larger. Which system is best is a tough question, in reality they are the same in as much as you have a helm unit that displaces hydraulic fluid in a controlled direction that in turn pushes a cylinder one way or the other. The simple answer is if it works it’s good and they both work so they are both good. The differences are in the volume of oil the helm will displace per turn and the size of the cylinder that it’s delivering the oil to. These variances make one system feel or act differently to another. The personal choice thing is often clouded by comparisons of similar but not the same systems on boats that are again similar but not the same. On the same boat with either setup I can guarantee you will not pick the difference. I actually have a mismatch system on my ski boat; I use a Seastar helm with a local made cylinder (Hydrive) to get the feel and response that I was looking for. I suggest you research the cost of replacement parts and go to a retail store and have a good look at each system to assess and compare the overall quality of the components.

Jomusky

Cadet

The Uflex is $100 less. I'm told the rebuild kits are less money and more readily available too.<br /><br />I'm leaning towards the Uflex.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Uflex is your best choice in my opinion.