Seastar Hydraulic Steering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

42tuna

Recruit
I am currently baffled with this problem :eek:... need help

I have a Seastar HC5358 hydraulic steering linked to a 2009 175 HP E-Tec. The problem I am having is that when you turn the steering wheel clockwise it just keeps turning even thou the cylinder rod is fully extended on the right side. However, if you turn it counter clockwise the steering wheel will stop when the cylinder rod is fully extended on the left side. In addition, under high speed the boat does not steer/react well when taking a clockwise turn.

I have thoroughly checked the entire system and found no leaks. I have bled the system thoroughly and no air bubbles. Am I missing something?? What can it be????:confused::confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seastar Hydraulic Steering Problem

i would say you are getting some bleed back thru the helm pump.

42tuna

Recruit

Hemi pump:eek: Is that repairable? is or does it need to be replaced?

cityjob1

Recruit

I am looking @ a 2002 Triton 150 EFI .The steering is bumpy ,it has a seastar .Is this easy to fix, verry loose steering,

sasto

Captain

A common problem. The relief valve in cylinder barrel is stuck. A good indicator is hard to port and not stbd. My suggestion is (common practice) pull steering HARD to port and she will free up. Should not hurt anything. If your helm is mounted at a 20 degree angle I would keep the fluid within a half inch from top of fill. Hope this workd for you.

bc1weber

Recruit

A common problem. The relief valve in cylinder barrel is stuck. A good indicator is hard to port and not stbd. My suggestion is (common practice) pull steering HARD to port and she will free up. Should not hurt anything. If your helm is mounted at a 20 degree angle I would keep the fluid within a half inch from top of fill. Hope this workd for you.

Thank you for solving my problem as well. My boat had been sitting on the
lift for 7 months. 150 HP Yamaha Salt Water series. Always starts right up. This time I had no steering. I pulled HARD and kept pulling until I hard a squishing sound and thought I broke something. All of a sudden, the steering worked fine.
Again, THANKS !!!

sasto

Captain

Thank you for solving my problem as well. My boat had been sitting on the
lift for 7 months. 150 HP Yamaha Salt Water series. Always starts right up. This time I had no steering. I pulled HARD and kept pulling until I hard a squishing sound and thought I broke something. All of a sudden, the steering worked fine.
Again, THANKS !!!

Scary...huh.....glad your good!

Status
Not open for further replies.