Seasoning

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
With the poll of bbq some of you checked the make your own seasoning. I would like to get some new one if you dont mind shareing ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Seasoning

what you will find out is if someone is using a homemade rub, they're not going to share.<br /><br />They are usually kept very close.

LadyFish

Admiral

Dry rubs for ribs or brisket have three main ingredients. Cayenne, garlic powder and paprika or chili powder. Some people add brown sugar, cumin and onion powder. You can also purchase a dry rubs at most grocery stores.<br /><br />When you're going to smoke a beef brisket you should start the night before. First pound the meat to get the juices flowing then cover with desired amout of dry rub. Refridgerate over night. Pop in on your smoker for 35-45 minutes per pound at approximately 225 degrees. Cooking time can vary depending on outside temperature since its difficult to control your heat when its cold out unless you have an electric smoker, but thats cheating. :p

Kenneth Brown

Captain

LF hit it on the head. I will not add anything that has salt till its close to time to cook. The salt will "pull" moistire (SP?) from the meat to the surface, which does no good.<br /><br />My mix for Dry Rub:<br />1 cup brown sugar<br />1 cup paprika<br />2 tbl spoons pepper<br />2 tbl spoons garlic powder<br />2 tbl spoons onion powder<br />After this soaks on the meat over night I will apply about 1/3 cup of salt to the meat with some additional rub before cooking. Long and low, thats the best way to go.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

LF was pretty darn accurate, so here are some more tips!<br /><br />I get my smoker going to 200 to 225 several hours BEFORE putting the meat on so the entire pit is ready.<br /><br />Also, pull the brisket out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature BEFORE putting it on the smoker. This can take a while!<br /><br />A cold brisket will mess with temperature control.<br /><br />I also put fat side up. Keep on the smoker for 1/2 the time uncovered.<br /><br />Then wrap in foil and put back on.<br /><br />for the last 2 hours, pull it off the pit and put it in a cooler. It will continue to cook from the inside out and it will not dry out.<br /><br />just my tips from a friend that has taken 1st in the pasadena cook off and competes in the big Houston Rodeo Cook-off!<br /><br />ps..electric smokers are for sissies :D

LadyFish

Admiral

KeltonKrew, we actually do it exactly the same as you as far as getting the smoker regulated ahead and bringing the meat to room temp. We also wrap halfway through cooking time. The cooler is a new one though.<br /><br />Lots of little tricks you can only learn from these great Texas BBQ'rs. :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I like to use foil also but have been trying to get away from it. I do a little cooking at a tourny but mainly just because I ENJOY IT. Foil is considered a "Texas crutch" by lots of the smokers. I really don't care what they think, but I like to try different things.<br /><br />LF-Former Yankee huh, New York wasn't it? Wasn;t born here but ya got here as fast as ya could!<br /><br />Here is a interesting site for some to see. Its a advertisement but they have lots of good info here also.<br /> Texas BBQ Rub

LadyFish

Admiral

We never used to wrap ours, and to be quite honest I preferred the texture of the meat better. But I am not the smoker in this household. I make the potatoe salad and beans. Mr. LF always does the brisket, ribs, etc.<br /><br />And because he gets up at the crack of dawn to do it, I let him. ;) :D