Sears 1985 15 HP gaskets

RichH

Cadet
I've a Sears 1985, 15 HP and am looking for gaskets for head and water jacket. Sears doesn't handle them and Tecumseh doesn't seem to handle them. Anyone know where I can find these gaskets, as well as a thermostat. Or should I just go ahead and make some gaskets.
Thanks
Rich H

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Sears 1985 15 HP gaskets

Do you have a model number for this motor? Are you sure the power head is tecumseh?

RichH

Cadet
Re: Sears 1985 15 HP gaskets

eurolarva said:
Do you have a model number for this motor? Are you sure the power head is tecumseh?

Hi,
The outboard is a Gamefisher model 217.586360. The engine tag says Tecumseh - 385C - 6029. Sears parts Web site says thermostat and gasket are no longer available. I've been unable to cross reference these engine numbers on any Tecumseh related Web site. This engine runs beautifully, but tends to overheat. I pulled the impeller this week and it was so-so, so I've ordered a new one from Sears and it should arrive any day. Engine is from a sailboat kept on the Chesapeake, so it saw a bit of brackish water. I'm suspecting i might have to clean gunk from water holes in the engine block. I just don't want to start fighting stuck bolts until I know I can get gaskets for re-assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.