sears 12hp. What year?

dbosco002

Cadet
I just purchased a 12hp sears outboard for $20. I can not find any model numbers on it at all. I think it is a 1965 from what I could find (no pics anywhere!). If I get some pictures tomorrow do you think someone could identify it?

I thought it would be good for duck hunting but now looking I think that parts will be too difficult to find.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: sears 12hp. What year?

Well, your 12hp was either made by West Bend or McCulloch. 12 hps were available in the 50s and 60s.

Parts can, indeed, be tough to find for those. www.discount-marine-parts.com will have some parts, and you can check the links at www.aomci.org for suppliers of other parts. They also have a free classified ad section where you can ask for parts you need.

If it runs now, and pumps water, you can go ahead and use it. However, I'd keep my eyes open for an equivalent Johnson, Evinrude, or Gale, for which parts are readily available.

Figuring out the exact year for your outboard may be a little tough without a model number. Most of us aren't that familiar with the old Sears Elgin outboards.

dbosco002

Cadet

Thanks for the reply,

I think I might try to sell it of part it out. The only thing is is missing is the tiller. I will get some pics up today.

I did purchase a 1963 Johnson 10hp last year for $50 bucks w/ a gas can. I have been looking for a tiller up till last week when I found one on ebay for a decent deal. The teeth on the short gear and shaft were chewed up so I couldn't use it. Also I took the carb apart and it was fairly clean but the cork float was in bad shape so I have to get a carb kit.

CATransplant

Admiral

Keep looking for that tiller, I see them frequently on ebay.

Get the carb kit for your 10 hp at an Evinrude dealer. You can get the one with the float. The NAPA kits don't have floats.

Bottom line is that getting that 10 hp johnnyrude up and running is your best bet. We can help.