Seamax, Saturn, or others? In the market for a inflatable with budget.

susp3nd

Cadet
What I do: New to the marine boat inflatable thing. I fish with my wife (rarely) 4yr old, and a 12yr old. Lake fishing 2-3 times a month. I already have a trolling motor and will be in the market for a 4 stroke soon (next 6 months.) I dont have to go fast. Th trolling motor is fine for me now.

My limitations: I have a new Subaru Outback. I have to fit it in the back of this thing. Trailer is out of the question for a little while as we are moving in the next 8 months. Probably cross country. I want to wait. I do most of my shopping on Amazon.com

Budget: no more than 1300.00

Help :)

I was looking size wise.....9.5' to 11?

Thanks!!

Hammer66

Cadet
Re: Seamax, Saturn, or others? In the market for a inflatable with budget.

Hello susp3nd!
I bought my first inflatable at the end of March. I was on the fence for many months and finally decided on a Newport Vessels brand. I chose the 12.5 foot Catalina. I spoke with the people at Newport Vessels and they were very nice, full of information and did not pressure me in the least. My first impression was the boat was very well made. However, there were some issues with some of the accessories. I had a cracked seat hook and a cracked foot pump. I guess these things are to be expected when they are shipped in a box weighing 200 pounds. One call to Newport vessels and they gladly shipped replacement parts right away. Their customer service has been outstanding.
I inflated the boat and let it sit and it held air without going soft after a few days. I am packing everything in to an extended model Trailblazer. I was shocked to see how quickly i filled up the back even with the 3rd row seats folded down. I also purchased a hitch mounted cargo carrier for the 18hp Evinrude and fuel tank. Although I haven't taken her out yet (I am loaded and heading out tomorrow) I am seriously contemplating a trailer. . .
Good luck with your decision!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Several iboaters have purchased Saturns and been happy with them. If I'm not mistaken one of their 13' dinghies would be within your budget (or close). One thing to consider; if you plan to regularly fold/roll it and put in your Subie you may find the PVC boats frustrating. They don't roll up as well as hypalon models. Welcome aboard and tight lines.:cool:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You may find the PVC boats frustrating. They don't roll up as well as hypalon models.

Probably being slight thinner and smoother fabric than pvc sibs, other than that a matter to check closely how they are delivered from dealer and try to pack same after use, when completely deflated, leave all air valves opened, jump on top rolled sib :D or use a vaccum cleaner to make the whole package more compact for car transport. Saturn will be a good budget choice.

Happy Boating

susp3nd

Cadet

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I think that a Hypalon is in the future once i get the hang of this stuff......

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If thinking rolling a hypalon sib will be more friendly compared to a pvc sib will have my doubts. Go for pvc if you will be doing just summer outtings and keeping sib inflated or rolled indoors after use. Hypalon is more sun resistant than pvc if sib will be left on outside environments for long periods of time. Most brands use the tinner hypalon fabric to reduce somehow final user cost. Still pricey compared to standard pvc.

Happy Boating

stjernefodt

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a 12 ft Saturn (SD365) back in the summer of 2007. Been using it about 6 times per year. Saltwater, lakes, and rivers. Still good as new as far as wear and tear are concerned. Have always stored in its bag, but it is a bit of a chore to setup and store each time. I would get a trailer if I lived nearer to the waters I fished. If you do intend to store it, I'd recommend the Bravo BST pump to inflate it. Gets the job done in less than 10 mins. My boat was matched with a 25 HP Merc 2-stroke that went well it, but I'm now upgrading to a 4-stroke engine as I did with my larger boat.

A 12 footer is great for fishing comfortably with 2 adults and gear, or 2 adults and 2 children. If you just want to cruise and have fun you can have 3 or 4 without problems. It was around $1150 shipped from boatstogo.com. I think they used some pics of my boat on their site that they took from my Flickr account.

3387522039_a35b8f1e25_z.jpg

3216335128_5d34f09674_z.jpg

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

Do lots of reading... the way the boats are assembled can effect how long they last. Welded seams are generally considered better for PVC boats.... but of course lots of sellers will argue otherwise because they sell boats with glued seams.

Obviously size is going to be a concern for you with the Outback for hauling. Truth is the biggest boat you can handle is the best..... once on the water they don't feel as big as when you are packing and hauling them!

I suggest getting the biggest motor the boat is rated for.... because soon enough you are going to wish you had more power..... like me after a few long boat camping trips on the west coast of Vancouver Island with my family..... I wanted more power!.... new boat..... bigger motor.... lots of money.

You may have already read posts by folks who get a bigger boat every couple years.... it is true.... a big boat feels small on the ocean!

ZIZON

Seaman

have a look at this www.jpmarine.com I bought my boat here, i'm very happy with it. thanks

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

I just received a Defender-380 (12' 6") in Hypalon (1670 Dtex commercial stuff). I am floored by the quality and the price was great. The only thing I do not like is that the aluminum floor has a black finish, but I called Defender and they said they may swap the floor for a clear anodized floor if I prefer. The black boats have a black floor, the grey and red boats do not. I did not know that when I bought it and did not think to ask.

My boat was $2,943 for Hypalon, which is the fabric what I wanted. Their PVC model (welded seams, not glued) was only $1,965.00. The Hypalon model I got, feels a lot like the fabric on my old, retired Zodiac FC420 military boat that I was replacing. Very rugged.

Happy trails

James Baker

Cadet

How has the Defender boat been holding up over the past few months? My Sd 365 has ben going strong for almost five years now and cost me around $1100 back in that day. Their (SD 365) prices have also remained quite consistent. I hear mixed emotions about PVC and Hypalon. I certainly can't complain about mine though.

Pacifictaca

Recruit

What I do: New to the marine boat inflatable thing. I fish with my wife (rarely) 4yr old, and a 12yr old. Lake fishing 2-3 times a month. I already have a trolling motor and will be in the market for a 4 stroke soon (next 6 months.) I dont have to go fast. Th trolling motor is fine for me now.

My limitations: I have a new Subaru Outback. I have to fit it in the back of this thing. Trailer is out of the question for a little while as we are moving in the next 8 months. Probably cross country. I want to wait. I do most of my shopping on Amazon.com

Budget: no more than 1300.00

Help :)

I was looking size wise.....9.5' to 11?

Thanks!!

I got a Newport vessels also with the catalina I bought from amazon.
Very good boat its been great to me as I used it this summer.
Cruise,fish,and dive off it no problems with it just some water
That always comes in not a lot but enough to get your feet and belongings wet if on the floor.
The people at Newport have been great to me when I ask about the water they help me out
With the problem. But still got water coming in and now no help but left alone. So I guess that's about the only thing that bothered me. Reason is that boat is well taken care of and I just bough it April of this yr warrenty kind of scares me. But all in all great cheap and good boat I'm happy with it and would by another. just wish the company will help out more to the customers.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I just received a Defender-380 (12' 6") in Hypalon (1670 Dtex commercial stuff). My boat was $2,943 for Hypalon, which is the fabric what I wanted. Their PVC model (welded seams, not glued) was only $1,965.00. The Hypalon model I got, feels a lot like the fabric on my old, retired Zodiac FC420 military boat that I was replacing. Very rugged.

Congrats, very nice purchase including price, know the manufacturer well, it's one of the best skilled Asian manufacturers, makes sibs and ribs in PVC or Hypalon for Defender new line wearing their trademark logo. If made with old stock fabric it's French Orca Hypalon, if with new stock fabric it's Achilles Hypalon. The word Hypalon is no longer used as it's a Dupont propietary name. Post some pics if possible to have a look. Check the new x Pro ribs. I'm ordering a brand new factory modified 470 and a Tohatsu 50 HP to place on transom, will arrive before new year. That combo will surefly fly to Jupiter...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Defender Pro Rib-2.JPG
    Defender Pro Rib-2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Sea Rider 470 Rib.JPG
    Sea Rider 470 Rib.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 1