Sealer around petcock - Lightwin

rob reber

Cadet
I am working on an old 3hp Lightwin, and I was wondering what type of sealer that you would use on the threads of the petcock that screws into the gas tank? It looks like a reddish material was used in past. I have removed most of this material with a small wire wheel attached to my Dremel. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rob

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Sealer around petcock - Lightwin

I'm sure many will chime in on this one.

Loctite 565 thread sealant- No flash point in liquid state. Ignition
temperature 465?C. For use in devices handling gasoline,
petroleum oils, natural gas (pressure not over 300 PSIG),
propane, and butane. 976P

Don't use teflon tape, gas will eat it right up.

robert graham

Admiral

White teflon pipe thread sealant that comes in a tube. The white teflon pipe tape is not recommended for fuel systems because of the teflon "hairs" that come off it can really plug a fuel system. Home Depot or Lowe's has the white teflon pipe thread sealant in the plumbing department. Good Luck!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

There are a couple of products sold for resealing the insides of rusty gas tanks that look, act and smell, like a heavy red lacquer. I've used them to seal motorcycle tanks and they work quite well. It may not be very cost effective to buy a quart just to seal a small pipe thread.

I often use liquid Teflon pipe sealer for pipe-threaded fittings for gas, oil, and hydraulics, all without failure.

Be careful cleaning brass threads with any powered brush, it is very easy to round off the threads.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That "Red stuff" was Gasola Varnish. You can still get it from a dealer if you really want to. However, the best stuff / easiest-to-find is plain ol' Locktite (blue) screwlock. It will seal it even if not crammed in tight like when it would take a whole turn to get it tight but you don't have that much room. And it is removeable.

out 2 launch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It has been suggested that Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), also known as Teflon, which comes in various forms, in this case specifically tape, will be eaten up by gas. Below is a link to a Chemical Resistance Chart. PTFE is rated excellent in resistance to gasoline and everything else except Fluorine.

http://www.vp-scientific.com/Chemical_Resistance_Chart.htm

bktheking

Vice Admiral

RectorSeal can be used which is PTFE and is available at plumbing stores, I personally wouldn't use the single layer plumber tape style stuff as I can't stand it. I've read on some sites where the single stuff was tested and melted, other guys put their "tape" in gas for 48 and it was fine.