Seafoam

Pickels

Cadet
I have read a lot of threads about the benefits of Seafoam. But that sure is expensive stuff if you use it on a regular basis.

I have always used a can of it every time I put gas in my tank (sterndrive). I am mainly concerned here in Arizona with the gas going bad because the boat sometimes sits for months at a time.

Question #1 - Would I be just as well off using a gas stabalizer ($1.99 a can vs $6.99 a can for SeaFoam).

Question #2 - How can a small can of Seafoam which is mostly Naptha cost $6.99!!!!!!!? That equates out to $56 dollars a gallon!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seafoam

Question #1 - Would I be just as well off using a gas stabalizer ($1.99 a can vs $6.99 a can for SeaFoam).
The only thing in SeaFoam that helps you with this is the Isopropyl Alcohol in case you have water. Stabil supposedly has a stabilizer in it along with the alcohol.

Question #2 - How can a small can of Seafoam which is mostly Naptha cost $6.99!!!!!!!?
Because people buy it! The can contains 25%-35% Naptha.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

#1 Yes
#2 It's selling at the current price and the company is making money. If brand "X" had the same formula at 1/2 the price you would see Seafoam drop to approx the same price.
Seafoam is used more as a decarb agent than a fuel stabilizer. As you indicated there are cheaper products for stabilization.
I Seafoam decarb at end of each season (approx 150 hrs.)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Stabil is not a fuel system cleaner. SeaFoam is. But then so is E10 gasoline.