Seafoam. good bad or ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mechanic-In-A-Bottle-Fuel-System-Fix-All-8-Oz/51471688

9ef3a06c-421c-4ffa-aae7-78ac7e7dabe5_1.917d781303474640d8a5559bc8975b53.jpeg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many folks just do not know how things work.----Fortunes are made selling ----" hope "---- to folks , just like lottery tickets.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
spray some water in the carb while it's running. Has to be a warm motor when you do it. That will work as well as Seafoam as a decarbonizer will and water is free.. There are better products that will work as a fuel system cleaner.

Water can remove some carbon from the combustion Chamber on a 4 Stroke, However trying that on a 2 Stroke is not a good Idea. While there is Moisture in the Air that is inhaled by a 2 Stroke it is evaporated, and not likely to come out of suspension as it passes through the Crankcase. Spraying Droplets of Water into the carbs will result in said Water getting into the Bearings in the crankcase, if the engine is warm enough and run long enough, that water may evaporate, but if it doesn't, it could keep oil from getting to where it needs to be, and even though most 2 strokes these days use Anti-Friction bearings, water can and will wreck havoc in them.
Also, the Primary reason to Decarbon a 2 Strroke is not to remove Carbon from the Combustion Chamber, but to soften, dissolve and purge any Carbon that is in the Ring Grooves and between the Ring and the Piston. All engines need the rings free to move and allow for Cylinder Wall wear,if carbon gets behind the Ring, it can't squeeze in and that will result in Scoring, Ring Breakage, and Ring Ends getting caught on the Ports

Reactions: RK

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Water can remove some carbon from the combustion Chamber on a 4 Stroke, However trying that on a 2 Stroke is not a good Idea. ...

Completely agree. Quickest way to wipe out a crank journal. :eek:

Chris....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Such products even the power tuner carbon remover ones constantly used on 2 stroke motors aren't that powerfull enough to remove large carbon build ups quantities on exhaust and combustion chamber as well because both have micro dotted porous surfaces in which carbon will constantly stick on them. Will surely work much better on new out of the box motors when used regularly.

Happy Boating

RK

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Water can remove some carbon from the combustion Chamber on a 4 Stroke, However trying that on a 2 Stroke is not a good Idea. While there is Moisture in the Air that is inhaled by a 2 Stroke it is evaporated, and not likely to come out of suspension as it passes through the Crankcase. Spraying Droplets of Water into the carbs will result in said Water getting into the Bearings in the crankcase, if the engine is warm enough and run long enough, that water may evaporate, but if it doesn't, it could keep oil from getting to where it needs to be, and even though most 2 strokes these days use Anti-Friction bearings, water can and will wreck havoc in them.
Also, the Primary reason to Decarbon a 2 Strroke is not to remove Carbon from the Combustion Chamber, but to soften, dissolve and purge any Carbon that is in the Ring Grooves and between the Ring and the Piston. All engines need the rings free to move and allow for Cylinder Wall wear,if carbon gets behind the Ring, it can't squeeze in and that will result in Scoring, Ring Breakage, and Ring Ends getting caught on the Ports

Yup... just had my 2000 200HP Ficht blew a cylinder,,, turns out a ring was stuck in the piston groove and broke,,, from now on twice a season it will get sea foam sprayed into the running engine until it dies then let it sit several hours. Had I did that I bet my stuck ring / blown engine would not have happened. Live and learn.. I should have seen the writing on the wall when I did plugs and saw all the soot.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
On 2 stroke motors this gold in a can stuff applied each 100 run hours will avoid carbon build ups specially on rings, follow procedure as Achris pointed out. Prefer to apply the product while the motor runs geared forward at min 2 K revs on muffs. After the motor has stopped smoking heavily go for a wot run as if stealing the combo to burn the product left overs. This product smooths out anything with pistons..

Happy Boating

Attachments

• photo328741.jpg
    photo328741.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 3
  • photo328742.jpg
    photo328742.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo328743.jpg
    photo328743.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
engine tuner (OMC/BRP) is miles better than seafoam in my opinion. it also has the benefit of being designed for 2 stroke outboards from the start. absolutely incredible at taking off grease, and caked on carbon deposits. i use it to clean pistons off if they are going to be re-used. they come out looking like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.