Seadoo Spx No Power

dscottr

Recruit
I am a first time SeaDoo owner and Purchased a 96 SPX with a 717 Engine. When i 1st got it ran great for about
30 minutes then started losing power on the upper end . by the end of the day it wouldn't hardly run or start.
I changed the plugs and a filter that is in the front of the Carb (read about it on the forum, was totally stopped up).
Now it cranks and runs good but only up to about half throttle (or maybe a little less) !
I ran it for about an hour.
If I hadn't seen it run at 1st , I would have thought it was just a REALLY slow wave runner.
(I purchased at the same time a 92 Yamaha 650 )
Any idea's ?

RickyGee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Seadoo Spx No Power

If your SeaDoo still has the gray Tempo fuel hoses in it, they are junk and need to be replaced. Over time, the insides turn to goo and plug up the last chance filter buried inside your Mikuni carb. This causes a lean condition at WOT and bogging down and can lead to burned or seized pistons.

The fix is to replace all the gray Tempo fuel lines with USCG rated hose and remove and rebuild your carburator with a new filter. Do a compression check to see if any damage was done (should be 125-150 psi with a warm engine and throttle held open)