Seadoo jet boat stalling

Dminks

Recruit
Hope this is the right place for help I’m a newbie. I bought a 02 jet boat with a 4.3 v6 EFI 2 stroke 240hp, previous owner said it had set for a year or so and I might need to service it before running it but the wife and I wanted to make sure we didn’t get screwed so be drove home and put it on the water. It fired right up and ran great for the first 30+ minutes or so, no missing or stalling want so ever! After docking it for maybe 5-10 minutes we fired it back up (no problems) and as we pushed off and went to throttle up it died instantly, fired back up, went to slowly take off again and died! Since we have had it out 2-3 other times with sea foam and new fuel and it does the exact same thing every time!! I took the in-line fuel filter off and it did have some a decent about of crud in it and I noticed the hose clamps that hold the rubber boot on that goes over the fuel tank hole where all the hoses and wires come out at where loose and I could pull the boot and all off fairly easily so I did tighten those thinking maybe it was sucking air but weird it will run great for the first short outing then go back to stalling! I have ordered new plugs, in line filter, and water/fuel separator but not sure that’s the problem. Any help would be very grateful and might keep me from a divorce lol!! Thanks

Dminks

Recruit
Hope this is the right place for help I’m a newbie. I bought a 02 jet boat with a 4.3 v6 EFI 2 stroke 240hp, previous owner said it had set for a year or so and I might need to service it before running it but the wife and I wanted to make sure we didn’t get screwed so be drove home and put it on the water. It fired right up and ran great for the first 30+ minutes or so, no missing or stalling want so ever! After docking it for maybe 5-10 minutes we fired it back up (no problems) and as we pushed off and went to throttle up it died instantly, fired back up, went to slowly take off again and died! Since we have had it out 2-3 other times with sea foam and new fuel and it does the exact same thing every time!! I took the in-line fuel filter off and it did have some a decent about of crud in it and I noticed the hose clamps that hold the rubber boot on that goes over the fuel tank hole where all the hoses and wires come out at where loose and I could pull the boot and all off fairly easily so I did tighten those thinking maybe it was sucking air but weird it will run great for the first short outing then go back to stalling! I have ordered new plugs, in line filter, and water/fuel separator but not sure that’s the problem. Any help would be very grateful and might keep me from a divorce lol!! Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know enough bout the motor, but I would suggest taking the fuel system apart and clean it. Many of the old watercraft had issues with the fuel lines and they needed the lines replaced

Dminks

Recruit
Don't know enough bout the motor, but I would suggest taking the fuel system apart and clean it. Many of the old watercraft had issues with the fuel lines and they needed the lines replaced
So your thinking maybe a fuel line is possibly collapsing after it warms up a little? That has been brought up in conversations with mechanic buddy’s.

alldodge

Staff member
Not the fuel pump so much as the fuel lines might be collapsing internally. They may also be flaking pieces off. With it sitting so long it might have issues with gumming up from the old gas sitting so long.

Don't know the serial number so unable to look up the parts. Check the fuel pressure

Dminks

Recruit
Not the fuel pump so much as the fuel lines might be collapsing internally. They may also be flaking pieces off. With it sitting so long it might have issues with gumming up from the old gas sitting so long.

Don't know the serial number so unable to look up the parts. Check the fuel pressure
The vin is CECF0006E001 if that tells ya anything if not I can look for the Serial#, this is a picture of what came out of the in line fuel filter….does this tell ya anything?

Attachments

• 9862FFA6-2D38-4899-9A71-148B463BFA4A.jpeg
    9862FFA6-2D38-4899-9A71-148B463BFA4A.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
The VIN is actually a HIN (hull ID number) but doesn't help with the motor

Do see some gunk but not a lot

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I think you need to go re check your engine details. I would have money on, that its not a 4.3 litre v6 2 stroke. I think once you know, it may be easier to get your issue sorted out...sure sounds like a fuel issue though. keep a close eye on that oil injection system, if its the engine I suspect it's more likely to be.
It is most likely the 2.5l Mercury M2 engine.

Check your the ground wires on your coils too