seadoo enigine full of 2 stroke oil after sitting. oil feed how it works?

houseflip

Recruit
I just purchased my first jet ski. 1999 seadoo gts 2 stroke 717. I was not able to try to turn the motor over with a key yet, the key is being programed as i wright. this sat not used since 2001, it has 136 hours on it. it is in mint condition inside and out. when i removed the spark plugs there was allot of oil in one of the cylenders. I took the air box off and the entire box and carb is filled with oil. the two oil lines comming from the oil box both have a steady flow of oil comming out of the engine now. I am letting the oil drain from the engine. My question is does this mean something is wrong with the motor? Can this much oil be normal from the many years of sitting? what happens with the oil under normal running conditions after the point where the 2 oil hoses go into the motor? any help would be great. also has anyone ever had full bore rebuild thier engine? thanks.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: seadoo enigine full of 2 stroke oil after sitting. oil feed how it works?

it is a real common issue with that type of rotax engine,, the center of the engine between the cylinders is full of oil to lube the rotary valve shaft and bearings,, if the crank seals or the rotary valve seals leak just a little,, over time the engine will do what yours did,, you can remove the plugs and crank out the oil,, then start it and let it run while it clears out the remaining oil and kills all the mosquitoes in your neighborhood,, believe me it will smoke like a dog for a few minutes!!,, any way ,,once you clear it out and you start using the engine frequently it will most likely just smoke a bit for a minute or 2 and then clear out, unless you leave it sit for a long time again,, then it will do what it is doing now,, to fix it you will need to tear down the engine , replace the crank shaft and the rotary valve seals ,, if you use a good synthetic oil it won't smoke as much when it is cold but I had several 720 engines that did what yours is doing and I just lived with it.

houseflip

Recruit

thank you very much for the info. I have been cranking it over for awhile with the plugs out. at first it shot oil about 30 feet up in the air, after i cleaned the jetski off I tried with a cardboard over the top until it had nothing solid comming out. I put the plugs back in but it locks up after about two rotations of the motor. when i remove both plugs it spins freely again. I disconected the oil feed lines during the entire ordeal but can't find any other way to get the rest of the oil from the bottom of the motor so it stop locking up the pistons. I am assuming the oil is locking the pistons in the cyclender and not something else becuse it spins great with no plugs in. Thanks again

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

the oil is doing it,, keep a finger over the plug hole to create vacuum that will pull the oil out of the bottom of the engine and push it out the plug hole as you crank the engine.

the big oil lines that go to the center of the engine are for the rotary valve,, the ones to the carb are not the culprit,,

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might be abel to tip it over and have it drain out the plug holes/pipe opening. That might take a while though, You could also pour some premix down the plug holes then tip it and it would come out easier when its mixed with the gas. Careful when unhooking lines that you dont run it and get a bubble in the pickup it can happen and is tough to bleed out.

houseflip

Recruit

thank you both for the help. After getting the engine empty of oil I discovered that the bearings in the lower end are not in good shape and it look as though they most likely took out the seals. I am at the point of making the decission to mail this engine to a company on the internet called fullboreonline.com they will rebiuld my engine for $899. I am looking for anyone who has info on this company good or bad and if you guys have any suggestions about me pulling out my motor and sending it out and then trying to install it myselfe when it returns. I thank you for your time and knowledge. Scott

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

check with sbt they also have videos to show you how to remove the engine and reinstall it www.sbtontheweb.com you will need to know how to release the drive shaft and remove the p t o and the stator

houseflip

Recruit

I have finaly installed the rebuilt egine myselfe. for anyone interested it is not hard at all if you mark all your lines and shims when you remove your old engine. The question I have is how do I know I am feeding oil into the crank and into the oil pump? I have all air bubles out and its so clear in the lines i can;t tell if the oil is getting to the cyclenders and the crank. Thanks