Seacock Valves

las165

Cadet
In March 2009 I purchased a 2008 Four Winns V338. As part of the deal closed water cooling was installed on the Merc 350 Mags, w/ bravo threes. The dealer did a great job, but the placement of the ball valves (seacocks) are in a hard to reach spot. I've seen on other boats where an approx: 2 foot long stainless steel rod was attached to the hole in the handle of the valve. This allowed easier access to operate the valve from a more comfortable position. Does anyone know where I can purchase thes extrension rods. I've done searches on the internet, but with no luck. Thanks.

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Seacock Valves

Are you refering to essentially Raising the handle up (off of the valve) to make its operation more accessable???

las165

Cadet

No the handle would stay as is. Near the end of the handle is a hole. I've seen where other boaters have installed an approx; 1/4" thick rod, with the end u-shaped, which would then allow you to open and close the valve with the rod, which is connected through the hole in the valves handle. It didn't appear as though the rod was home made, it was too uniform in its bends/shape. Thanks

Knightgang

Lieutenant

You should be able to pick up a Rod like that at Homedepot / Lowes, West Marine I would think. I think I can picture what youa re talking about in my mind. That said, I bet it is not even 1/4 inch think. But a Rod small enough to be able to fit into that handle hole would be pretty easy to bend into shape using a vice and maybe just a little heat...

las165

Cadet

Thank you. I think you're right, it's also probably the cheapest way to go.