Sea Rayder F-14 starting and idle issues

glenjw1969

Recruit
Hi all? thanks to all of you who regularly post replies? this forum has been a great help to me!

This is my first post? I?ve read several related threads but I?m stuck!

Got a '96 Sea Rayder 120 xr Red Stator

It ran fine since I purchased it in April- was running it just about every weekend- but was sitting all of August... now it won't start.

I can barely get the engine to catch? when trying to start it , it keeps building pressure in the cylinders and flywheel won?t turn so I have to remove the plugs to free it.

Took off the black plastic air intake chamber to spray a little carb cleaner and it fired up- but I couldn't get it to idle? it just dies unless I throttle it. I don't want to hit throttle too hard because I'm doing it at home with water running through the flush line.

I removed the bowls from the bottom of the carbs? thought they might be gunked up? but they were clean as a whistle? also cleaned the yellow lines and their fittings? there was a little gunk but not much.

I?m definitely getting fuel b/c when I pull the plugs and spin the engine, lots of oil/gas mix get flushed out the plug holes?
Now I tried to restart and flywheel is stuck due to pressure build up again!

Looking for suggestion on next steps? I'm thinking maybe remove the carbs totally to clean? Or might there be something else to try first?

Thanks for reading this!

-Glen

glenjw1969

Recruit
Re: Sea Rayder F-14 starting and idle issues

Update- Looking for help/advice!

Cleaned carbs yesterday, and it started up fine... let it run for about 10 min... nice idle... everything was looking A-OK.

Shut it off and cleaned up... came back 15 min later and same issue as before... starter won't spin the flywheel more than 1/4 turn... I tried hooking up jumper cables to my truck thinking its a battery issue... still no luck.

When I pull the plugs... flywheel spins... put plugs in and no-go?

Could this be a starter issue??

Please advise... any input appreciated!

-Glen

hkydan

Cadet

Glen,

When you pull the plugs does any water come out of the cylinder? Since the starter doesn't want to crank, it Sounds like it is Hydro locked. Its probably not idling properly because maybe one of the cylinders has water in it and not firing.
I could be way off base but I have a similar problem with mine and water in the cylinder is what it turned out to be.

Dan

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi. Don?t run it up from whater cooling through flush hose. It?s not for cooling.

Hook up on black hose comming up from jet pump in back. You only need to unscrew the connection in back and put a plastic garden hose connection on for it to work. Low pressure on whater.

Probably your manifold gasket are gone, check the manifold also when you have it off so it not leaking and gasket surface is all ok. and clean on manif. and engine block. Check that first. Step two mecanical way is head gasket and when you have it of, check head from corrode spots and twisted of heat. And look down on engine block and cylindersleeves + pistons so all ok..

Do as hkydan says, look on the plug when engine locked. Are they a little milky white ore can you se whater on them?.

Regards!!.