SEA RAY vs CHAPARRAL

marco-polo

Cadet
Seriously looking to buy a new boat:
- Chaparral 244 Sunesta
- Sea Ray 230 Sundeck
The Sea Ray has a Merck 350MAG, 300hp, Alpha 1. The Chap has a Volvo 5.0L 270hp, DP. We boat on Smtih Mountain Lake in Virginia. Both boats have local dealers with good reputations. I'm a little worried about the 5.0L Volvo being undersized for that boat? Any advice, comments, opinions on the 2 models - ride, quality of construction, etc, etc?
Appreciate your help; thanks!

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: SEA RAY vs CHAPARRAL

Hello Marco:

I am a newbie on here too, but I have been doing some similar searches. From the data I have gathered, it seems clear that Sea Ray makes an extremely good boat and that the 5.7L is the motor to have. Anyway, just thought I would chip in with my 2-cents in the spirit of sharing... you can look at my old posts regarding a Sea Ray vs. Maxum. I am ending up with the Maxum, but had I investigated here first - I probably would have gotten the Sea Ray.

Good Luck

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

I've owned both brands, and being in Ga, these two are probably the most popular brands in the area (Chap is made in south Ga, Sea Rays in Tenn (at least they used be)). I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. Over the years, I was a die hard sea ray fan. I started looking at Chapparals because they offer a double helm in a smaller boat (for the type boat I was looking at). Ater some evaluation, I now believe Chaparral gives you a little more bang for the buck. I have a 280 SSi (jumbo bow rider). It compares to the Sea Ray 290 and is about $40k less. And feature for feature, I think it's a better boat, at least for my needs. Chap has won quite a few awards over the years, and they have several features which put them a slight notch ahead of the sea ray, while sea rays still command a premium price based on their heritage and resale value. I'm a Mercruiser fan though. I've been boating for 30 years and have always had dependable service out of mercruisers. In the past 10 years or so, I've helped out several friends with Volvos. Not saying they are all bad, just my experience. Regarding the power, yes that seems a little on the light side (entry level).

TilliamWe

Banned

marco, first let me say thank you for actually spelling Chaparral correctly. Most non owner's don't get it right.

The base power package on a 244 Sunesta is the VP 5.0GXi with an SX drive. So on the one you are interested in, they have put the DP, which is good. But it still is the base engine for the boat. And while Chaparral doesn't normally underpower their boats, that is most likely the base engine to set a "price point" for the boat. The VP 5.7Gi with a DP would be a much better choice. Or a Mercruiser 350MAG MPI with a B3.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Too bad the Volvo Duo Prop wasn't hooked to the 5.7 setup.That would be ideal...

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Gary, but what are your top speed wishes? If you don't mind a slower top speed I believe she'll plane fine with the Duo-Prop. Personally I would not want the Alpha although they have improved them (what year boats?). Cone clutches (Bravos and all Volvos) just have a better and more solid feel.

Be carefiul on model designations guys . . . the 5.7L as written above is carbureted . . . ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

Marco, how do you intend to use the boat? For pulling wakeboarders, skiers, and such most of the time? Are you gonna have 5 or more 200lb+ adults on board all the time? Or will you just be using it to speed around with just two people aboard will a minumum of stuff? How you intend to use the boat makes a difference on how you power it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have a newer Chap albeit smaller than the one you are considering. A few things. For the year, 2003, that I have the Chap compared to the Sea Ray for overall fit and finish as well as getting the small stuff right is night and day. The Chap clearly took the same care and attention to detail on the smaller boats as their larger cruisers. The "premium" brand small bowrider competitors are just now adding some of the features that are on my 2003. This is one reason I did not buy new. The smaller Sea Rays then and the new ones now in my experience do not have the same level of detail. The smaller Rays to me try to be more flashy than classy. You need to move to the Select level to get the nicities at least that is how the Sea Ray dealer explained it to me. As for the larger engine, there is a technical/real life comparison article out there on I believe the 'Boating' website comparing the two engines and the bang for the buck of selecting the larger hp engine on the same model boat (not your's but in the article). The results were along the lines that the more expensive hp option was truly marginally more optimal and significantly more costly as an option on new. Personally, the more HP the better for my taste.
Now with all that said, the folks who can give you every level of minutia as to which you may want to select are the folks on the Chaparral commercial website owners forum. Many have owned multipe cruisers of different brands and can give you a fair assessment. These folks are true boaters' boaters.

marco-polo

Cadet

Marco, how do you intend to use the boat? For pulling wakeboarders, skiers, and such most of the time? Are you gonna have 5 or more 200lb+ adults on board all the time? Or will you just be using it to speed around with just two people aboard will a minumum of stuff? How you intend to use the boat makes a difference on how you power it.

Occasional skiing/tubing, nothing very serious. Mostly we'll have 4-6-8 people on board, go for a little ride, then anchor in a cove, jump in the water, maybe have a drink and a snack, etc. If I top out in the mid-40's that's plenty fast for me. If I want to go faster, I can scare myself on my jet ski.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am thinking low 40s for the Chap. Especially when loaded up which it sounds like you will do. Where you gonna boat? Altitude?

TilliamWe

Banned

As near as I can tell the elevation of the lake is under 800' above sea level, so altitude is not an issue.
Marco, for what you described, the 5.0GXi with the DP would probably work just fine. When you sea trial that boat, have 6 people on board and see how it comes out of the hole.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I missed the Smith Mountain deal. Cool.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Chaparral just won another Boat of the Year title from BOATING magazine, December 2008 (I think their first was a few years back with 285 SSi). This really is an achievement and a highly coveted award. The boat is Chap's new 40' Cruiser (a crowded field with extreme competition). Although well out of my price range and needs, it shows the kind of commitment Chaparral has towards boats. The editors really liked the innovations, detail and quality of the boat. If you 're interested in Chapparals, it might be worth a read.

marco-polo

Cadet

Hey guys - Thanks for all the great discussion and advice! I just bought an 09 244 Sunesta. It's loaded, I think I got a good deal. I had worked with this dealer in the past so I am confidant that I'll get great post-sale service.

I'm glad to have found this website too. I'm sure I'll use it in the future.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Safe boating
Mark