Sea Ray SRV220 - 1977 -Reputation? Remarks?- I got it!! Picking up on Saturday.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All ready thinking hard about upgrading to another boat. I like the size and looks of the Sea Ray<br />and I've found one (250 miles away) for $5k, with nearly new Volvo Penta engine and outdrive.<br /><br />I know the engine is a 350 w/4bbl. Know nothing about outdrive. 40 hours on new engine, 15 hours <br />on new outdrive. I've spoken the owner/sellor, but other than ad photo, I know nothing. Allegedly<br />a revamped interior. (no canvas or cover - has been garaged)<br /><br />I've seen some of these around and I like all that I see, but I really know nothing about the boats<br />Any comment?

tylerin

Commander
Re: Sea Ray SRV220 - 1977 -Reputation? Remarks?- I got it!! Picking up on Saturd

Re: Sea Ray SRV220 - 1977 -Reputation? Remarks?- I got it!! Picking up on Saturd

I have a 200 Signature Sea Ray 5.7 (350) Merc and I love the boat. Great fit and finish boat. Nothing bad to say

Ralph 123

Captain

It is probably built like a battleship. 3/4" marine plywood sandwiched between very think layers of fiberglass and gelcoat. Everything is probably glassed in too - nothing left open. The great manufacturers like SeaRay and Formula way overbuilt the boats during those years because they were unsure about the strength of fiberglass in the early days. Today, they use foam instead of ply and the layers of glass are no where near as thick. $5K sound like a steal if the engines and outdrives are that good. I would certainly go look at it...

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a longer conversation with the seller. There's 125 hrs on the engine, but only 15 hours on the outdrive since a overhaul.<br />And while it was garage kept for a number of years but not for the last year... no canvas or cover.<br />I have been pricing and at $5k this guy is right in the middle of the market. I am drawn to the Volvo Penta quality and the Chevy 350 w/ over 200 hp. I think he quoted 225 hp.<br /><br />80 gallon fuel tank, new upholstery in cuddy and new vinyl on some exterior.<br /><br />Most of the Sea Rays locally are less than 20ft, also lots of OMC equipment. I want the fat boy 22'. There's an 18-20 and a srv220 just a few slips from my boat. I walk past them as I come and go on the dock. That 220 is wide = roomy. And all round shows just how that other boat is smaller (and my own as well)<br /><br />I'm driving up on Sunday. Probably coming home with a new baby in tow.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if it was left uncovered for a yr., i would be concerned about floor/stringer rot.

Texan_Ron

Cadet

Hello Dk <br /> you are the first besides myself talking about a srv220 which I am working on the guy I got mine from left in an open storage lot no covering really smart huh last week got floor out and the wood in the stringers are still very solid and the engine also fired right up which is a 260hp I am thinking will cost about 2k for the restore doing myself and ebay paid 1500.00 for the whole package with newer trailer my srv220 '79 only had for a month now after you get it let me know the wot rpm/mph please DK texan_ron is my yahoo id feel free to msg :)

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yo- Tex!<br />Yeah, will do. BTW- my prospect is a '77 but I don't think there'll be much differance.<br />We'll have to start our own user group - yahoo hosts that sort of thing real easily.<br />You really got that for $1500? Wow. I'm impressed.<br />I all ready talked to the guy about specs. He never had a lot of time on it... so he couldn't quote GPH, and wasn't sure exactly where WOT would read. He did his running in the 3000 to 3200 range. (I would think 3200 is getting there.) Typically in automotive use, 3500 is about max.<br /><br />Lived in Houston about 30 years ago... Galleria area off Westheimer. T.H. Rogers Jr High!! LOL!!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The 70s searays are great boats.i had a v240 1977 with a 228 mercruiser(305 block).We were very happy with it and it can take waves better than a much bigger boat.I noticed that many of the older sea rays had thin floors in the cockpit with foam under it.Maybe they just wore down,but it is something you should look for.We sold ours about 10 years ago for 5000$ so yours sounds a little high to me.The newer motor and drive surely adds value.Good luck!!! Charlie

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

tex, my man... what a project that is. Wow. You gotta let us know how you're doing with that. <br /><br />Do you have a bookmark right to the "projects and backyard boatbuilding" forum?<br />Boattrader has a couple low priced boat that "need work" or "need TLC"... I wonder if they're as bad off as yours.<br /><br />I'd like to hear your whole Ebay saga. Was the boat fairly local to you?<br /><br />Email me if you want... dkwalker@yahoo.com.<br /><br />This weekend, I'll be making the drive north to look at mine. I anticipate talking him down, but he does quote a string of improvements he's put into the boat.<br /><br />There's another at a Portland brokerage that they're asking $9k for. I don't trust the looks of the engine and the interior is '70's Harvest Gold. I shouldn't let that put me off, but it's butt ugly. In good shape but ugly. <br />I suspect I could cash 'em out for a lot less, as it's been on their books for a while. I dunno.<br /><br />The low hours on the engine and the Volvo Penta tags on engine and outdrive are what have me most interested in my target boat. The overall scope of what this guy says he's done is worth looking at. <br />He said he started with just a hull- coulda been like yours, Tex.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My cousin just completed floors engine stringers and paint on my uncle's 210 srv 1980 vintage with merc 165hp I-6 I have been in that boat many times on big water, and can see why my Uncle will never part with it, this boat is big for a 21 other that a bad floor and a bit of rot at the engine stringers, this boat held up well, considering it is left open all summer for the past 21 years, If it had been covered I'm sure it would not have needed the floor and stringer work.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did some looking at others before I arrived to check this one out. I've seen 'em nearly immaculate, to an ugly stripped out hull. I felt fairly prepared to assess what I saw.<br /><br />The seats were replaced about five years ago, have hardly ever been set on... but the vinyl is badly sun baked.<br />The rear area- rather than an engine box and the wide shelf transom with bait boxes/coolers- is now a full width bench and then a large upholstered lid/sun bed (ala 'Euro cruiser). <br /><br />The floor covering is a bright blue interior grade carpet. Ugly and quite soggy. That will be coming up ASAP. <br />There is soft spot where the passengers feet would rest- well a bubble, but the rest of the floor thumps solidly.<br />The sliding hatch cover right at the walkthru to cabin or foredeck needs new wood laminated onto it. The sellor said that was a white plastic laminate when he got it. He spoke like it was a simple thing to get a new veneer to put onto it.<br /><br />Sun fade on virtually everything, but "behind the scenes" it looked good. I'm an electrician, so I look for hacked or unused wiring and I didn't see any of that. Hoses and wiring could stand tidying up but nothing thrashed or leaking. Under that back shelf (full width) it was clean and reasonably dry.<br /><br />The cuddy area was in nice shape. No porta-potty, but a stack of spare props were hidden in that space, so I'll live with that.<br /><br />No anchor; just a chunk of 3/8" line that might measure 50' in the anchor compartment <br />- that hatch needs laminating also. It may have been replaced- it lacked the push button latch I expected to see there.<br /><br />Mechanically, it's in good shape. The Volvo Penta GM 350 started well enough with an initial prime straight into the carb and didn't blow a puff of smoke when it did start. The oil looked good- not like it'd just been changed but still a good tone to it.<br /><br />Note: I caught the guy unaware, showing up two days before I said I would. I did call to be sure he was home, so he had about 20 minutes warning before I arrived. He had the battery out of his car, but hadn't hoisted it into the boat yet. The engine was definitely responding from a "cold and long neglected" state. It fired immediately and started in short order.<br /><br />I don't know what to say about the outdrive except it's there and I didn't see any cracking or checking in the bellows.<br /><br />I do need to buy two batteries for it (WALMART here I come!!) and before I even bring it home, it's going to the shop and having a new Sunbrella top being made for it.<br /><br />No electronics, no accessories.<br /><br />The trailer has good tires and is a dual axle with surge brakes. (shrug) I'll find out soon enough about those brakes.<br /><br />With the install of at least one battery, it's ready to put into the water. It does have some things I want to change, but all in all, I feel I did ok. <br />BTW... he was asking $5K; with only minor wrangling, I got it for $4k.<br /><br />For Sale:'78 19' Manatee Cuddy w/ 30 hours on rebuilt 115hp Merc. $5k firm. Full guages, 20 gal tank, Eagle FF, canvas top -In the water now. Let's go for a test ride!

Texan_Ron

Cadet

good for you DK i beleive you would be happy :) I recall you saying you lived in H-town before and now I see you also an electrician so am I lol I added you to yahoo feel free to drop a line and I drove 150 miles for my searay

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The sea ray is a good strong built boat .I have found not only in my srv 228 that the transom seems to get alot of water and rot out .I replaced mine last year big job but strong now. I believe the sea ray is one of the better boats. It does not handle well though going down swell. But i,m talking pretty big swells that not everyone fishes in. The price is fair as far as the hours that in nearly new, So I say buy it and good luck Start low on your offer and work your way up

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Big smiles on the transom... it was redone by the shop that installed the outdrive. <br />According to the jaded history (that is also long winded) on my 'Ray, the original outdrive was torn off on a submerged obstruction. <br />The new transom supposedly done heavier than normal.

ken-utah

Cadet

I have a 1976 Searay, Sunchaser 200, 351ci, 235 hp, OMC outdrive------ love the boat, it's rock solid, lucked out and picked it up for $1900.