Sea ray 160 Bow Rider

rhvi

Cadet
Hi

I may purchase a SeaRay 160 Bow rider with the searay (Mercury) 100 hp outboard- it is a 1989. The condition is good. What do you think?

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sea ray 160 Bow Rider

Hi

I may purchase a SeaRay 160 Bow rider with the searay (Mercury) 100 hp outboard- it is a 1989. The condition is good. What do you think?

so what's the question?

rhvi

Cadet

The asking price is $3495 , I believe I can get it for around $2800. The boat is 20 years old, what can I expect from a reliability point of view? Bottom line would you purchase a 1989 Searay 160 bowrider with the merc 100 outboard. I have been away from boats for awhile and would like to get back into a boat with a good repair history at a reasonable price. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

for $2800 it best be showroom condition, as far as a 16 ft, with 100hp good combo. extremely over priced in my opinion. when they are that old searay or bayliner, are just a hull and equal value.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.