Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special livewell

MickLane

Cadet
I recently purchase a used Great Lakes Special (16'0 1/2") which has a livewell under the Captains seat. It is an aluminum tank with an inlet through the bottom. It also has a standpipe in the bottom with a "T" about an inch from the floor of the well and an open top. The unit has been modified as the inlet has a length of tubing which comes through the inlet and goes up to an aerator along the top rim. I can't figure out how the drain works. As it is right now, the aerator switch turns on the pump which fills the well, but the drain doesn't work when the water goes over the top. It will actually overflow onto the deck. Does anyone know of a source for a diagram on the original installation? Or what I should do to retrofit? It only has the one pump for filling the well.<br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />Mick

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special livewell

Can't you just pull out the standpipe to drain it?

MickLane

Cadet

Nope, the standpipe is permanently fixed. That was the first thing I tried.<br /><br />Thanks for asking.<br /><br />Mick

D

DJ

Mick,<br /><br />You should have two pipes going to the livewell. One is the fill and it should fill from the TOP.<br /><br />The second goes to the stand pipe. The standpipe should have a "T" as yours does, yet the bottom needs to be plugged when you want to fill it.<br /><br />I believe yours has been improperly modified.

MickLane

Cadet

OK, DJ. I will plug the bottom T, and see what happens. The standpipe is anchored in the second line, which I assume is the drain line. I think what you are telling me is that by plugging the T, the top should act like an overflow drain and run out through gravity feed. I will try that. The only modification that I can see is that the previous owner ran a smaller fill line inside the original fill line. It goes inside the existing line and comes out in the water near the engine. Not sure why he did this. I want this to have a recirc/aerator as well. Seems like I will have to retrofit that.<br /><br />Are you aware of any diagrams or source for owners manuals on this series of boats?<br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />Mick

D

DJ

Mick,<br /><br />You and I are on the same page now. :) <br /><br />I do not understand that modification either.

MickLane

Cadet

Worked like a champ, DJ. I looked at the back of the boat and he had stuck a plug to block the exhaust hole. Unplugged it, used the same plug to plug the T and tested everything. Works like a charm. No leakage, fills, keeps up with the aerator, and drains. All this while sitting dead still. <br /><br />Now .... I will install a recirc/oxygenator, and an interior light and be good to go.<br /><br />Thanks for the great advice.<br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />Mick