Sea King 5HP Help!!

martyedge

Recruit
Hello everyone, I am trying to look up some spec. info. on my Montgomery Ward Sea King 5HP outboard. So far I have not had much luck and I was hoping someone could provide some info., please. Here are the #'s I have:
Model #: K500 3108 0
Serial #: 1053449
Type #: XTV 52250

I don't know fuel mixture, tune up parts info, literature, just any specs all around. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Sea King 5HP Help!!

That's a 1975 outboard you have there. It has a Clinton engine. It's air-cooled with a water-cooled exhaust. I'm not certain about the fuel:eek:il mixture. I had one like it and used 24:1 in it with no problems. Use oil designed for air-cooled engines.

For parts, try http://www.discount-marine-parts.com. They have electrical parts, and most other common parts for those.

Those Clinton-based outboards are OK, but they're noisy, vibrate a lot, and can be finicky. Mine always started great when cold (set speed lever past the Start position) and ran fine. It often balked about starting, though, on the lake after it had been shut off for awhile. I never did sort that out.

By the way, the model number starts with KTV, not XTV.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your motors displacement is 7.20 Fuel mix is 48:1 on motors larger than 5.76.
Air cooled oil is not wrong though all my aftermarket manuals reccomend a good grade of outboard oil.Catransplant hit the nail on the head;try to get it to run right for as little money as possible then decide if its what you want.
If you like to fiddle its the motor for you.

jimmys72

Cadet
Re: Sea King 5HP Help!! and a few tricks

Re: Sea King 5HP Help!! and a few tricks

Howdy friend.I have the same motor and saw you needed help so here you go.The mix on the motor is 3oz of tc oil per gallon of gas[what the ratio is I dont know]That is word for word off my shroud.Alot of the parts are similar to older tecumseh motors.I love my little sea king . it has been in storage for over 20 years now,ten of which in my ownership and earlier this week was its first time seeing water since I have owned it.I did have a problem with the fuel pump/filter on the side but quickly learned that a golf cart fuel pump works just as good and they are rebuildable! they are bigger physically but they are easier to find and put out the same pressure.the best way to tune them I found is in a long stretch of water at full throttle[clear of people and obstacles] and turn the screw on the fuel bowl in or out until you have reached your highest rpm set the mix knob in the middle or slightly rich for a little extra oil but not too much just lookin for oil not fuel.Also if you have the original fuel tank they are prone to dry rotting and cracking but a briggs tank fits snug and is a little thicker/tougher I also changed my fuel line to 1/4 inch from the 3/16 stuff they used at the factory . The little thing will push my 14 ft aluminum seamaid v hull at probablly 15 mph.I have skied behind it but it was slow of course I am not a small guy either at 315 lbs. so there you are if I can help you please dont hesitate I run in to this stuff all the time and am glad to help fellow boaters and fishermen out lots of luck and catch a lunker!:D

kitchenr

Cadet

Hello,
I just got a Montgomery ward 5hp sea king model # k5003180c Serial #1056863.
It will run for about 25 seconds then rev really high and stall. sometimes it will run longer and sometimes shorter. i tried adjusting the carb nothing seems to help it. anyone with any ideas or advice please let me know
Thanks,
Ryan

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello,
I just got a Montgomery ward 5hp sea king model # k5003180c Serial #1056863.
It will run for about 25 seconds then rev really high and stall. sometimes it will run longer and sometimes shorter. i tried adjusting the carb nothing seems to help it. anyone with any ideas or advice please let me know
Thanks,
Ryan

fuel line has a block or carb, so the carb fills up with a small amont of fuel and you start it up and run the fuel out, thats what the 25 seconds of reving is all about, so give your carb a clean out and the fuel pipes.

kitchenr

Cadet

Keith,
First of all thanks a lot for the help, but...
Had the carb cleaned yesterday and put all new fuel lines in this morning still the same thing. 25-40 seconds of running then rev really high then stall. any other ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Some tanks have a strainer inside where the lone fitting comes out.
Your symtoms are classic.Enough fuel to start and run and then reving
as it runs out.If its on a remote tank the pump may be bad.try squeezing
the primer bulb to keep it running.
Float may not be opening enough.Is the tank vent open and clear.

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can only say the same as steelespike, have a good look at the fuel system.

kitchenr

Cadet

Alright,
I replaced the fuel lines, and had the carb cleaned and looked at, at the marina by my house and they cant find anythign worng with it at all.
this still leaves me with a motor that runs for about 25 seconds then rev's really high and stalls. anything else i can do to check whats wrong? im open to anything from anyone. please help me!
Thanks,
Ryan

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To me it still sounds like the carb, if it revs that high before it stops, then the throttle would need to be a good way open for it to rev that high, the throttle on my seaking used to stick open, the spring would not return it and you couldn't see as it is all under the flywheel

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok let?s see, you need the covers off for a start, move the throttle arm or magneto plate, whatever you want to call it from right to left and you should see the knob with a return spring on top of the carb go up and down, that?s your throttle, if it goes up and down then that?s working, if not you could undo the three screws on the side of the carb with the throttle stop screw ( tike over screw ) on it.
My one never had a gasket on that part, I don?t know if it should have had one, but I made one (very thin) and it don't stick anymore.
Have you had the carb off the motor, if not I would take it off and check the jets and see if the float is working and if you have a brass nut at the bottom of the float chamber, that should have a filter in it, also will it start if you don?t prime it, or do you have to prime it every time, as it could be running on the fuel that you prime it with and nothing else as nothing is getting though the carb, it has to be fuel related, in some way.

kitchenr

Cadet

Ok,
I had the carb off and cleaned it and the gas gets into the engine fine i was checking that all day today. new fuel lines, new carb parts, everything in that works fine, gas sprays into the engine like it should. still runs for about 30 seconds and rev's and stalls.
i have no idea what to do everything ive thought about and tried doesnt seem to have any affect. i took the carb and the little plate right off the engine today and cleaned that and that seems fine to me.
is there something in the engine that would make it stall?
Do i have to put any oil in the engine itself? I have a J8 and a RJ12C spark plug for it and the needles are turned to 1 1/2 and 1 turn. the fuel mix is perfect and i have 2 cycle outboard oil. Only thing and im not sure of is that it says use only leaded fuel only and i have unleaded im not sure if this would cause my problem or not.
Im not sure maybe there is something in the engine that stalls it. i really have on idea. gas flows fine up that little tube in the middle of the bowl...
is there anywhere you know that i can get parts to rebuild the carb? anything im kinda running out of options here
-Ryan

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The reving and stall is a classic running out of fuel symtom.
Have you checked the fitting in the tank for a strainer?Are you sure the tank vent is open and clear?Try running just a single line from the tank to the carb
no other fittings,hoses or valves.
I wouldn't spend much more money on it.

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Again I agree with steelespike, it sounds like its down to the fuel not getting into the engine.
One thing I would try, get hold of some easystart or what ever you call it, get the motor to start and before it dies spray some up the carb, if it keeps the motor running a bit longer then your fuel line or your carb is still blocked, remember that easystart is not the best thing to use on a 2stroke engine or any engine, so don?t over use it, but it will tell you if it?s still a fuel problem.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You also should be sure that any quick connector isn't leaking air.
They can leak air and not drip gas.

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just as all others have said this is fuel starvation. I would question the statement that the carb was rebuilt and then you are asking about finding parts to rebuild the carb.?? Something isn't making sense here.
I bet that the carb is full of green crap and you are forcing fuel into the throat that the engine is running on. Then you get the lean fuel rpm increase before it dies.
Don't waste any more time yanking on the pull rope till you get the carb taken care of, it will only **** you off.

Just my opinion,
Capt Ron