Sea Foam- Decarb??

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice
I have read several post relating to the use of Deep Creep Sea Foam to decarb an engine. What is the process of doing so? Start the engine and pull plugs one at a time and spray into the cylinder while the engine is running? I have heard not to run the engine with the airbox cover off. BTW 1991 Rude 200XP.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sea Foam- Decarb??

Follow the directions on the can, Walleye Man.<br /><br />Moving to General Outboard.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Spray into carbs while running,load it up as can nears empty and stall motor.THEN pull plugs and spray into cylinders and put plugs back in .Give it some time to "deep creep" an hour should do it and run motor again or take out for a ride.That should do it or you can repeat the same procedure the next day.Charlie

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Charlie. So I am understanding you right, it is alright to run the engine with the airbox cover off while spraying into the carbs?

KCLOST

Commander

Just don't run the engine over 2000 rpms with the airbox cover off, which you shouldn't do anyway when on the muffs....

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I will try to get some Deep Creep next time I am in town.

LubeDude

Admiral

I did this on my Merc 150 last fall, I couldnt kill the engine by spraying into the carbs, I finally did as suggested and ran a mix into the engine with a separate tank, then sprayed into the sparkplug holes. I let it sit overnight, and suggest doing it to others, I just do not think an hour is enough. At least all day. Your neighbors will love you when you restart it, Might want to call the fire department so they do not come to your house on a faulse alarm.

KCLOST

Commander

Lube, did you use the deep creep stuff Aerosol, or did you use the stuff out of the can in a spray bottle.... Mine stalled ok doing the later, after about 25-30 squirts from the bottle rotating from throat to throat.<br /><br /><br />I did this just this saturday, and by the way, I switched to Pennsoil synthetic blend and the smoke did really cut down when running on the lake on Sunday.

ZmOz

Captain

Don't worry about leaving the air box off while you do this...my inline 6 didn't even come with an air filter to begin with! :) I never got my engine to die either, it's nearly impossible unless you spray a can into each of the 3 carbs at the same time. Still cleaned out ALOT of carbon...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thereare a couple of good articles in the Engine FAQ section on decarbing. Check them out. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> Lube, did you use the deep creep stuff Aerosol, or did you use the stuff out of the can in a spray bottle.... <br /> I switched to Pennsoil synthetic blend and the smoke did really cut down when running on the lake on Sunday.
Yes I was using the airisol, would have probibly worked if I would have done it your way.<br /><br />And another one converts to Synthetic. :D Wont be anyone using regular old oil before long. (Fat chance of that).