Sea Eagle Yacht Tender

explorer1

Cadet
Good Morning

We're thinking about buying a Sea Eagle inflatable 8' YT1 yacht tender to tow behind our Bayliner 195 Discovery. I have a couple of questions...

Has anyone had any experience with Sea Eagle products, in particular the model we're thinking about?

Also...any comments or suggestions regarding the durability of the tow connection points vs. prolonged towing at 15-20 mph.

We intend to use it to go ashore on Santa Cruz Island and to explore the sea caves there.

Any reply appreciated. Thanks

explorer1

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Sea Eagle Yacht Tender

Sea Eagle is entry level and honestly, I think there are better tenders for the same kind of money. Tenders are not meant to be towed on plane, though they can be if you're careful. Remove everything from the boat including the motor. Use a bridle to connect to the two bow quarter D-rings. Pull it in close to your stern, so close in fact that the front of your tender is suspended in air if you can. That will minimize the chance of pulling a D-ring off or worse.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we tow dinks behind our sloops all the time, but never at anywhere near that speed, how will the d rings hold up to it? (i agree with your original post's question)

Be careful about chafe, we lost a rib as it was being towed behind our 40 on delivery from the British virgins to Florida. They were in a following seas, the painter was too short and with every wave it would ride forward and hit the transom...

If possible, get a rib, they have true bow eyes, not just d rings...

all inflatables (i believe pvc are worse than hypalon, but not sure which) are very UV sensitive, but if maintained, can last 20+ years, ...

when docking/mooring shorten your painter, ropes and props never get along...

I believe west marine at one point in the past sold a davit that didn't raise the whole hull out of the water, but raised the front portion only as the previous post advised...

A 195 is basically a 19-20 foot boat right? an inflatable kayak may be more in line for your intended purpose, it stows smaller than any zodiac type boat, can be easily and quickly be inflated on scene, they tend to be nicely maneuverable, fairly quick, cheap, good work out, one less engine to maintain(zodiac type boats row horribly), etc. just a thought,
good luck with whatever you decide

explorer1

Cadet

Thanks for the replies

The cautions regarding towing the Sea Eagle echo those of their sales rep I spoke with yesterday; e.g., tow speed, extra bridling to the stern, etc. .

Taken together, I think we'll forget about the towing. The genesis of the idea was using the tender to transport extra fuel (which isn't necessary, but we thought it would allow more exploring if the tow was viable). Given the input received, the tow is a no go. We cruise at a minimum of 15--probably more like 20-25--so that's that.

We had a 16' Zodiac Mark III Grand Raid (hypalon)/40hp Suzuki we used to poke (boge wheel beach launch) around remote Baja a few years ago, so I understand the quality--and the large $$$$--differential regarding the Sea Eagle inflatable.

I did look at inflatable kayaks; we'd need two to do what we plan.

So we may yet choose an inflatable tender to be launched (inflated) on arrival and retrieved (deflated) on departure. The 195 can get in very close; so the rowing's not a problem.

Of course all of this could probably be avoided if we'd just spring for $100K worth of cruising craft but...while we wait for the lotto... :)

Thanks again for the replies,

Explorer1