sea doo 180 challenger se or Glastron GT180

Wstandis

Cadet
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. This post is about the overall best boat but has allot to do with the engine. moderators feel free to move if necessary

I am in the market for a new/used boat. primarily used for weekend outings and waterskiing.

Right now I am looking at two boats.

1. - Sea doo 180 Challenger se
2. - Glastron GT 180

My question is which do you think would be a better al around boat
the seadoo with the 255-hp supercharged, intercooled Rotax 4-TEC engine

- or -

The glastron with the 4.3 GL Volvo Penta (190 hp)

I like the idea of the I/O Volvo but that sea doo looks like a ton of fun.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer
Re: sea doo 180 challenger se or Glastron GT180

the glastron because it is more efficient but it also depends on what/where you will be using the boat.

Wstandis

Cadet

Water skiing and tubing on new england lakes.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can only tell you that the Glastron is a much better built boat and has a better overall reputation for runabouts.:D

Good Luck

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I concur with those above. For any towing sports an I/O will beat a single engine jet boat hands down. It is more efficient, has better directional stability, doesn't have that annoying jet wash in the middle of the wake and will likely provide better hole shot for getting skiers and tubers out of the water.

I will say, however, that from my experience SeaDoo makes a very nice product. Fit and finish will be as good or better than the Glastron. For your use the Glastron will be a better boat. The Glastron must be a model number 185 not a 180 though. 185 = I/O....180 = Outboard.

Wstandis

Cadet

Good catch - you are correct 185.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You just need to figure out if you want a jet boat or not, and that will make your decision. There's lots of info out there, they both have their pros and cons.

I've always thought a jet boat would be a blast, especially since a lot of where I boat can get get very shallow at low tides. That said, I don't have one.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If you want a Boat,.. Buy the Glastron...
If you want a Jetski,.. Buy the Seadoo...

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd' go for the Glastron. They are very well built. Think about this. Do you really want something with a supercharger? They are usually expensive to maintain and especially replace/rebuild. That's why they're NEVER on production cars for very long.

Besides, there's a reason there's so many sea-doos for sale after 1-2 years.;)

Wstandis

Cadet

Like I said I do like the Idea of the I/o as I could maintaing/fix most things on the "I" side.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

GLASTRON GLASTRON GLASTRON!!!

Wonderful well built boats with a great ride and great lines. You will be much happier than with the SEA DOO.

Good luck!

Wstandis

Cadet

Thanks for all of the replies now for the next question GT 185 with 135 or 190 horsepower?

ziggy

Admiral

that's an easy enough question.... no one ever says, gee, i wish i had a smaller engine in my boat... they do however ask. how can i hop my boat engine up to get more hp out of it...

the 190hp for sure..

Adrift

Seaman Apprentice

2 years ago is started my search with the Sea Doo 180 as my main target/interest. Went to a boat show to specifically see the Sea Doo. Looked it over pretty hard.

I bought a Glastron GT 185 at the same boat show and don't regret passing on the Sea Doo at all. Granted, I have never ridden in a Sea Doo.

The only issue I have is with the bimini hardware. Request that the mounting brackets be through bolted at the factory (if ordering).

that's an easy enough question.... no one ever says, gee, i wish i had a smaller engine in my boat... they do however ask. how can i hop my boat engine up to get more hp out of it...

the 190hp for sure..

+1

Mine will top 50 mph (speedometer)if that's your thing. Change the prop and it's great puller as well.