Screeching noise on my 1967 3hp

Bellasdad

Cadet
Hi All , Got my 1967 Evinrude 3hp fired up today. Gas oil mixture 24:1 motor started right up but after running for a few minutes it started to screech like metal on metal. Shut it off immediately . Turns over fine, pulled the side cover off thinking I would see something , but everything looked ok. The pistons were wet with oil on them. I pulled the lower unit to check the water pump and found that the impeller was burned thru on the bottom plate. Plate was ok after I got the impeller rubber off. The sides of the housing are grooved up a bit. I think the water pump wasn't working. Any thoughts ? where can I get a water pump and housing ? I can't seem to find one online . All the ones shown online have 4 bolt holes mine only has 2 .

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The bottom wear plate can be cleaned up with some wet/dry sandpaper -- should be able to reuse it.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Starting a engine with no water in the pump housing is the fastest way to a melted impellor blade.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Hi All , Got my 1967 Evinrude 3hp fired up today. Gas oil mixture 24:1 motor started right up but after running for a few minutes it started to screech like metal on metal. Shut it off immediately . Turns over fine, pulled the side cover off thinking I would see something , but everything looked ok. The pistons were wet with oil on them. I pulled the lower unit to check the water pump and found that the impeller was burned thru on the bottom plate. Plate was ok after I got the impeller rubber off. The sides of the housing are grooved up a bit. I think the water pump wasn't working. Any thoughts ? where can I get a water pump and housing ? I can't seem to find one online . All the ones shown online have 4 bolt holes mine only has 2 .
post picture of your water pump... strange ....the diagram for a 3hp wp shows 2 bolts ...
very common pump housing... check with the folks here at Iboats
post mdl # on your plate
1714824755403.png

Last edited: