Scrap value of pontoons?

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I have an old 24' Harris Floteboat and the pontoons have been "welded' and "repaired" too many times. I am convinced that they are no longer safe and do not want to sell them to someone who thinks they could use them. However, a real professional may be able to do something with them. I am in Indiana. They are not corroded. A lot of $ has been put into this boat and I have decided to part it out. (new furniture, very good motor, railings, tandem trailer etc. I am being told scrap value prices all over the place, from .75 per pound to approx 2 dollars a pound from someone wanting to sell me new toons. Even with new toons, I would never be able to sell it for what has been invested. A "guesstimate" is that I have 4 or 500 pounds of alum? Anyone know the value? Thanks

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Scrap value of pontoons?

The thinner the aluminum, the thinner the scrap price paid.
You will have to call your local scrap dealers directly and likely have to haul it in to them.

But how bad can they be? I am guessing all of the repairs have been made on the lower half of the toons?
Some one might be able to just add another sheet of aluminum to the lower half right over the old and last many more years.

Sell them on Craigslist as scrap only but not at scrap price.

badbird

Petty Officer 2nd Class

scrap aluminum is worth about .40 per pound

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I can not get get a straight answer from the scrap dealers without disassembling the boat and taking the toons to them. They really aren't all that bad. Its that after several attempts at finding a skilled welder in my area, I give up. But I'm only 100 miles or so from Elkhart IN where they make these things. I put the boat on blocks this weekend and found the problem area which had been setting on the bunks for who knows how long. So, if I take them off the boat and take them somewhere where people have experience welding thin alum (like Elkhart) they would probably last another few decades. But, I should have mentioned that I parked this thing two years ago and bought a nice 20' cuddy my wife and I love, without all the headaches and throwing good money after bad. I was hoping to find someone who had scrapped their old toons that could tell me approximately what they are worth. They are 24' x 19 ". They are approximately .100 thick while the upper support brackets are .135. The cross members are a full .250 thick u channel. So I have a lot of weight. Its a shame to scrap them.

Jeep Man

Commander

Pugsley, there are a few suppliers with new scratch and dent pontoons in your area. Have you considered purchasing replacement tubes?

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I was getting bad info on scrap prices so that is out. One toon doesn't leak at all. The other was half full of water last time out. I will check around for scratch and dent, but wifey would probably kick my *** if i spent another 2 or 3 K on this old boat. Craigslist is the best idea with a listing "guaranteed to sink if you can't get them fixed." "caveat emptor" Thanks again. Dan, Peru Indiana

rmiley40

Recruit

Hi,
I was wondering if you ever scrapped the pontoons or just sold them on Craigslist? If so, what were they worth?
I am in the same situation with the scrapping of the pontoons. I would only disassemble the deck if the scrap price is worth it.
Thanks,
Robb

D

DJ

Floating-no leaks: One price.

Scrap: The price of aluminum (if they are) going rate.

whitehairdude

Seaman Apprentice

Man, I'd sure like to find a Pontoon someone wants to scrap around Dallas ftworth, I want make a 3rd toon/ transom for mine!!!