Scout Found Alive! Good News

NYMINUTE

Captain
KAMAS, Utah (AP) -- An emergency worker in Utah says he's been told that missing eleven-year-old Boy Scout Brennan Hawkins has been found alive.<br /><br />The boy hadn't been seen since Friday, when he vanished from a Boy Scout camp in the Uinta Mountains.<br /><br />The search for Hawkins had become grim as it entered its fourth day. But Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds said the boy would have been able to survive because the nights continue to be warm, with temperatures falling only into the 50s. The area is about 100 miles northeast of Salt Lake City.<br /><br />Officials said Brennan disappeared somewhere along a dirt road between the camp's artificial climbing wall and the "chow hall," where he was to meet his friend. The East Fork of the Bear River is within 100 yards of the road.<br /><br />The normally ankle-deep stream was the main focus of the search and the most problematic for rescuers because it's deeper than usual in many areas -- up to 15 feet deep in spots -- because of a heavy mountain snow melt. Edmunds said longer poles were brought in to aid the search Tuesday.<br /><br />Brennan's parents had pleaded for more help after the pool of volunteers dropped to about 600 Monday, and helpers lined up Tuesday morning. About 4,000 people had helped search over the weekend.<br /><br />On Monday, rescue teams found three socks and a sandal in the river, but none belonged to Brennan. The boys' parents also sifted fruitlessly through enough clothing collected from the mountains to fill the bed of a pickup.<br /><br />Edmunds said he had no reason to suspect foul play. Nonetheless, detectives were checking the background of every adult who was at the camp Friday.<br /><br />Brennan carried no food or water, and his family said he did not have a good sense of direction.<br /><br />"He's probably dehydrated, sleep-deprived, definitely hungry," said Brennan's father, Toby. "With him being so young ... I don't think he's thinking about what he needs to do to survive, because he's never been in that environment."<br /><br />Among the volunteers was Kevin Bardsley, whose 12-year-old son, Garrett, vanished last August while camping at a nearby lake. He was never found despite a weeklong search.<br /><br />"When we came off this mountain in the winter, my friends and I decided right then, if anyone came missing, we'd be there immediately," said Bardsley.

D

DJ

Re: Scout Found Alive! Good News

Thank God.<br />
Indeed.<br /><br />Nice to know there was no more to the story. No, sickos, whackos, perverts, (excuse me-alternative belief system) people, etc.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a scout leader myself going camping this weekend I will be doubly careful not to lose any PS not all - in fact none that I know of are sickos we just want to give something back to the community and to help kids get through a difficult part of growing up and we get sick of everyone thinking that the scouts are full of pervs no wonder we cant get enough leaders

D

DJ

I found it "interesting" that the little tike was sometimes "avoiding" rescuers.<br /><br />Probably good advice from parents but frustrating for volunteers and rescue workers.<br /><br />Do we have a junior "Rambo" in the making?