Scott-McCulloch 40hp outboard

I need some help identifying this old Scott-McCulloch outboard that we found stored in a barn. The only numbers I could find on it was at the front of the motor near the transom bracket. The numbers were 336 3214. Any help in finding out the year/model would be appreciated. Here are some photos of it....

Thanks

Attachments

• picture 9485.jpg
    picture 9485.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Scott-McCulloch 40hp outboard

That might be a part number. It's around a 1958 or '59

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

336 is a 59 40 hp.336A is electric start W generator.42 cubes Champion J4C
plug set at .035.points set at .020., compression hand cranked is 125psi.
Pretty much an orphan though there may be some very limited parts here at iboats.you could try the scott guy at ask the scott guy.

The motor turns over freely, it is complete except for the controls, and seems to have good compression. I plan on trying to see if it will run this weekend. Why is this motor an orphan? Were they not made for many years?
I dont plan on trying to use the motor on any of my boats, but I do like to tinker....

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Studebakers and Hudsons were good cars but you don't see many of them any more either. Face it, Scotts were suffering some pretty fierce competition from Johnson, Evinrude, and Mercury. Scott didn't survive. They weren't bad motors, just mostly poor marketing and dealers. And then there were those Bail-a-Matic water pumps (!!!)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The motor turns over freely, it is complete except for the controls, and seems to have good compression. I plan on trying to see if it will run this weekend. Why is this motor an orphan? Were they not made for many years?
I dont plan on trying to use the motor on any of my boats, but I do like to tinker....

Thanks
Originally Scott Atwater began about 46,purchased by McCulloch around 1960.As near a I can tell production ceased around 69.Full line of full gearshift models in 49,made a 3 cylinder 75 hp in 61 out of 63 cu.in.Fairly short history compared to West Bend which began about 46 building motors for Sears and export. Started building under the West Bend name in 56 purchased by Chrysler in 65/66 became Force about 85.Force may as well be an orphan as Merc anounced some years ago
no more new part production.They are all orphans but the West Bend Chrysler,Force line has many more years of dealers,parts batches and experts around.

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glass- Have you tinkered around with your scott? I bought a 14' boat off a guy that has the exact same motor on it, the model 336. Mine turns over but the points are not set correctly and I havent had any time to get it going. Just wondering if you have run into any problems or had any wisdom you could share with me.

Also, steelspike hit the nail on the head "the scott guy", Donald Webb is very helpful on these motors. I emailed him a couple times and always got a friendly response. He has parts and manuals that you would need, or at least know where to get them. Heres the website http://www.scottatwaterinfo.com/ check him out.

blot101

Seaman Apprentice

well, i have a 60 hp outboard from mcculloch.

it really is an orphan!

the starter burned up. i searched the entire nation for a starter for this engine. it's a late fifty's i think.

i have looked EVERYWHERE for another one. any boat place i take it to laughs at me (in a polite way of course) i called the place that bought all of mccoluchs stock when they went out of business, even they had nothing. they gave me two phone numbers to try.
one didn't answer his phone, and the other said the best he could do is if i send the starter to him, he can look for something similar and fabricate a hybrid between two... IF he could find anything similar. which wasn't a great possibility.

i ended up taking it to an electric motor shop, and having them rewind it, and grind new brushes for it.

we'll see if it works after that!
i just can't give up though, because it's original with my boat, which is a late fifty's glastron surf flite