Score: Boat 1, Trailer 1, Me 1

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I want to rebuild the carb with an OEM kit do I remove just the main body or the whole assembly including the throttle body?

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Score: Boat 1, Trailer 1, Me 1

Can anyone tell me this? I am waiting to remove the carbs right now...

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're gonna do it, do it all the way. base plate, throttle body and butterfly assembly. If that doesn't help, then look at the gaskets and eyeball how far down the carb assembly you even have gaskets for. I bet they sent enough to remove all the way down to the intake manifold.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Remove the entire carburetor from the intake manifold. It'll make it somewhat easier to replace the needle & seat.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can do it by just removing the carb body but those passages in the throttle body need to be cleaned too. Besides, getting the carb body O ring back on correctly will be much easier.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys. I busted one of the four bolts off that connects the throttle body to the intake manifold, :mad: it seems I was trying to tighten the bolt to 40-50' (foot)lbs of torque instead of 40-50" (inch) lbs. :confused: Stupid mistake, I know.<br /><br />Anyways, should I try to remove the intake manifold now and hopefully grab what's left of the bolt with vice-grips and twist it out? Or should I just leave it? I think what is left of the bolt is holding the throttle body against the intake by whatever threads are left on the bolt.<br /><br />What are my chances of finding a bolt to fit it?

Walker

Captain

Need to get it out. Any air leak there will be a problem.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I cant get it with vice-grips because it is broken off too far, what are my other options? Do I drill it out with a small drill bit?<br /><br />I seem to recall a tool from Craftsman that you could get broken bolts out with, anyone had any experience with this?

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice

If you don't have experience removing broken bolts I recomend you get some help from someone who has. After you break the extractor tool off inside the bolt it becomes very hard to repair. There is also the possibility of ruining the block in the process.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's probably good advice. Not sure how difficult this one will be since I had the bold out once already, I just over-torqued it putting it back.<br /><br />My only worry is that I think the bolt and or the intake manifold might be aluminum so whoever does it will have to be careful.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

someone needs to market a left hand drill bit. when you drill out a stud with a normal bit it has the effect of tightening the offending thread. Im sure it would ease the problem of using a stud extractor.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice

We used to buy LH drill bits from a company called Kar Products. They sell nuts and bolts etc. to the automitive industry. I don't know if they still have them availible.<br />They did work good. Often they would spin the broken bolt right out.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How big a bit should you use? Is a small one better or should it be just a little under the size of the broken bolt?<br /><br />What about the screw out/bolt out system from Sears?

ob

Admiral

Drill a small pilot hole first.Make sure you center punch the bolt shank.Don't want to drift off center.Chuck the bit up deep so it doesn't flex.Don't overforce ,let the bit do the work.Then graduate up to one that will leave enough wall thickness to use an extracting tool without intruding to the aluminum casting.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

never heard of LH drill bits before but puttin an order in right now....

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice

Also for the extractor to work the best, drill all the way through the broken bolt. this weakens the bolt and its holding tension on the threads.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you over-torqued it enough to snap its head off be prepared to shoot a helicoil.

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually after making such a stupid mistake I was prepared to shoot myself.<br /><br />Seriously though, I think part of the bolt is still sticking out, so what I was hoping to do is take a nut of the same size and bond it to the bolt with thread-lock. Once it dries, hopefully I can just back the bolt out. Not sure what the threads will look like, but I may have to have someone helicoil it. I've never done that before...

redxfred

Recruit

Extraction tools (we called them "Easy-Outs") are easy to use. You only need to drill a shallow hole to let the large, sharp threads of the tool engage the broken part with a tap of a hammer. Then you back the broken shaft out with the tool in a tap wrench or vice grips. Once it's free, you can unscrew it with your fingers.<br />Practice drilling into the broken head of the bolt just to see how hard it is. If a 3/32 or 1/8 bit cuts it you should have no problem. A carbide bit will assist in drilling hard steel. Put a rag under the work to catch parts and filings.<br />Fred