Schiavo Autopsy Shows Massive Brain Damage

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Terry Schiavo was truly brain dead from the Autopsy report released yesterday. It says her brain shrank to only half it's original size, and that the part that controls sight was dead so she was blind. Sounds like things were much worse off than they anticipated. Also the autopsy showed no sighs of abuse or strangling as her parents acused Michael of.<br /><br />It's too bad that Michael had to go through all that crap just to put the living body of his dead wife in the ground. <br /><br />I hope Terri's misguided parents realize the error of their ways and apoligize to Michael for all the smear headlines they created about him. <br /><br />People hate this poor guy and he did nothing wrong and everything right. And on top of it all he had to endure the anguish of loosing his beloved wife while being labeled a murderer.

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Schiavo Autopsy Shows Massive Brain Damage

Very well stated. And I am in complete agreement.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Unfortunately, the autopsy report won't be good enough for some folks.. :(

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Of course they have refuted the report.<br /><br />Nothing—not a Mickey Mouse balloon, not even a mother's soothing voice—would have gotten a response from Terri Schiavo, the comatose Florida woman whose right-to-die case entangled the courts and mesmerized America for months. That's according to an autopsy report released today. Any message from the world would have had to travel the neural pathway to her neocortex, where it would then have been processed and a response generated. That first step, the initial incoming route, was destroyed some 15 years ago when, with her brain deprived of oxygen, she slipped into a persistent vegetative state. <br /><br />The medical examiners found no evidence of strangulation or abuse—another question raised in the legal proceedings. "They did an extremely thorough job of ruling that out," says Karen Weidenheim, chief of neuropathology at Montefiore Medical Center in New York. And the autopsy concluded that the vision centers of her brain were dead, rendering her blind. <br /><br />Her death on March 31 ended a familial, legal, and political struggle over removing her feeding tube. The autopsy showed that her brain was half the size of normal, and examiner Jon Thogmartin said at a press conference: "No amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons." <br /><br />Examiners could neither confirm nor rule out bulimia as the initial cause of her collapse on Feb. 25, 1990. <br /><br />"I think it's very important for society to understand that sometimes these unfortunate things happen and you can't repair the damage," says Weidenheim.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they are going to keep someone alive for 15 years with a feeding tube, I take issue with slowly letting the person starve or die of dehydration in a hospital bed all of the sudden. If the decision is made to end a person's life who will obviously die within days, euthanasia (some sort of lethal injection or the like) seems to me to be the only humane way to deal with these things. Watching a loved one struggle for the last 10 days or more of their life at their bedside with no water would be unbearable.<br /><br />That's the way it looks from here.

Link

Rear Admiral

Agree theriver

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have been down that terrible road and I always sided with Michael. Hopefully he is recovering too.<br /><br />Bob

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> Very well stated. And I am in complete agreement.
Same Here...........

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> If they are going to keep someone alive for 15 years with a feeding tube, I take issue with slowly letting the person starve or die of dehydration in a hospital bed all of the sudden. If the decision is made to end a person's life who will obviously die within days, euthanasia (some sort of lethal injection or the like) seems to me to be the only humane way to deal with these things. Watching a loved one struggle for the last 10 days or more of their life at their bedside with no water would be unbearable.<br /><br />That's the way it looks from here.
I agree<br /><br />unfortunately, I believe the media has made it easy to forget or overlook this fact. <br /><br />My sister, at 17, died and was revived in the ER after a tragic car accident. She was then in acoma for approximately 4 months. The doctors at UK medical center said she would never awake....and then she did....then they said she would never be able to move ..;..and she did....then, well she would be a veggie unable to remember, walk, or interact with people and so forth. <br /><br />We never gave up on her either. Now, she does have brain damage. She is still just 17 in her maturity. But she has lived a pretty good life so far all considering. One of her sons just graduated highschool this spring. <br /><br />Having said that, I have seen vidio of Terry and she was not blind folks! My sister recieves SSI because she is LEGALY blind because she has tunnel vision. But she can see. I saw Terry smiling blinking, and looking at people in the room. She behaved exactly like my sister did the first few days after SHE awoke. My sister progressed, and little by little she gained back her ability to speak, function,etc. Life is not always perfect, but I love her and she still loves me. <br /><br />BTW They said the same thing about her ( my sister's) brain after cat scans. <br /><br />All I know people, is when it comes to the human brain (we only use 25% or something like that)noone is expert enough to make a call like that or to justify ending a life over. <br /><br />Forced Starvation......Reminds me of the sick movie called "Seven". Excuse me, but I aint ok with that crap.<br /><br />Money is the route of all evil.

D

DJ

Also the autopsy showed no sighs of abuse or strangling as her parents acused Michael of.<br />
What do you expect after fifteen years? Do you have any fifteen year old bruises? <br /><br />Could it be that starving/dehydration shrunk the brain. Don't know-do we?<br /><br />Yep, dehydrating and starving someone to death is so humane. <br /><br />Y'all better hope it is not you next. A VERY dangerous precident has been set. We now have left it to the state (government) to decide when we need to die.

SoulWinner

Commander

Florida is going to do an investigation or probe or something into the events surrounding her collapse, and why it took her husband 40 to 70 minutes to call 911. This should be interesting.