scary moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsnut87

Cadet
4 adult couples went for a ride on my buddies boat. (2nd annual ADult weekend, No kids) Upper Dells on Wis. River Sunday, nice day, great company, great food, cheese, sausage, shrimp ect. We were going no faster than 7 mile an hour, and went to pass a 2 story tour boat. No big deal have dont it dozens of times, when all of the sudden noticed the wake he was leaving, (not kidding) was 6 feet deep, we were on an older style deck boat. we hit that wake and it broke 1 seat right out of the boat, the 2 people in it went over board backwards with the seat, the side wall gave way and 3 others went in the drink. 3 of us were able to stay on board. the driver myself and 1 person in the front who saw it coming and held on. I started kicking shoes off, we had 1 person who did not know how to swim, (wife of the boat owner), with out a Life Vest. 1 guy on board started counting people as they surfaced he counted 8 then 7, I dove in and grabbed the lady who could not swim, now 25 years ago while in Scouts went through life guard training, so I knew what to do. she fought like hell, typical person, just wanted to use me as a step ladder out of the water, her husband jumped in and started to help.(ex Marine, now county cop) It was all the 2 of us could do to keep ourselves up and her, At on time she turned to me so quick I could stay behind her and she was choking me, I could not breath, I got out of her hold and we where able to get her to the boat. Other than minor scrapes, cuts and pride hurt everyone ended up okay. Boat a bit messed up, but very fixable. if the boat that stopped to help reads this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. they threw jackets, called the police, helped people out of the water, even picked up the debris in the water and the little girl even picked my flip flops out of the water for me. AWESOME PEOPLE, unlike the other 20 boats that flew by at mock 10 creating wakes so big I could stay above water. Purely and accident,

1 thing caught me off gaurd. We had a cooler on the boat that we brought from the cabin. I was the last one out of the water, making sure the seats and debris was all picked up. So needless to say there was beer bottles floating in the water, of which 3 had been open in 1 hour on the water.(we are not big drinkers, certainly not while boating) 1 old gentlemen drove by slowly to see the mess, and I was holding on the side of the boat, Exhausted and this a hole made a comment, Looks like he needs another beer, or has he had enough. if our boat wasnt wrecked I would have run him down and beat his ***. Driver wasnt drinking, hes a county cop and knows the issues with drinking and boating as we all do. The good thing is, no one hurt, the folks that stopped to help are angels and the police were great to deal with, no hassles, told them what happen, why we the beer was in the cooler, today life is good.

I guess my point to new boaters. Be prepared, it can happen anytime, anyplace, freak accident. IF YOU CANT SWIM WERE A VEST. 1 person not being able to swim normally takes 2 or more lives with them.

And the flipping tour boat never stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont thing they will be boating for awhile, but my family is going out next weekend. Thank god, I could help her out. The funny part is 2 months ago while up there I was teasing her about wearing a jacket, but if she ever fell in I could save her butt, she laughed. On the way home, she reminded me what I told her 2 months prior. I reminder her I wasnt doing it again, next time she wears a jackets or sites on shore.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: scary moments

Glad everybody is OK.

This is a great reminder that a PFD only works if worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.