Scary Moment

sportsnut87

Cadet
4 adult couples went for a ride on my buddies boat. (2nd annual ADult weekend, No kids) Upper Dells on Wis. River Sunday, nice day, great company, great food, cheese, sausage, shrimp ect. We were going no faster than 7 mile an hour, and went to pass a 2 story tour boat. No big deal have dont it dozens of times, when all of the sudden noticed the wake he was leaving, (not kidding) was 6 feet deep, we were on an older style deck boat. we hit that wake and it broke 1 seat right out of the boat, the 2 people in it went over board backwards with the seat, the side wall gave way and 3 others went in the drink. 3 of us were able to stay on board. the driver myself and 1 person in the front who saw it coming and held on. I started kicking shoes off, we had 1 person who did not know how to swim, (wife of the boat owner), with out a Life Vest. 1 guy on board started counting people as they surfaced he counted 8 then 7, I dove in and grabbed the lady who could not swim, now 25 years ago while in Scouts went through life guard training, so I knew what to do. she fought like hell, typical person, just wanted to use me as a step ladder out of the water, her husband jumped in and started to help.(ex Marine, now county cop) It was all the 2 of us could do to keep ourselves up and her, At on time she turned to me so quick I could stay behind her and she was choking me, I could not breath, I got out of her hold and we where able to get her to the boat. Other than minor scrapes, cuts and pride hurt everyone ended up okay. Boat a bit messed up, but very fixable. if the boat that stopped to help reads this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. they threw jackets, called the police, helped people out of the water, even picked up the debris in the water and the little girl even picked my flip flops out of the water for me. AWESOME PEOPLE, unlike the other 20 boats that flew by at mock 10 creating wakes so big I could stay above water. Purely and accident,

1 thing caught me off gaurd. We had a cooler on the boat that we brought from the cabin. I was the last one out of the water, making sure the seats and debris was all picked up. So needless to say there was beer bottles floating in the water, of which 3 had been open in 1 hour on the water.(we are not big drinkers, certainly not while boating) 1 old gentlemen drove by slowly to see the mess, and I was holding on the side of the boat, Exhausted and this a hole made a comment, Looks like he needs another beer, or has he had enough. if our boat wasnt wrecked I would have run him down and beat his ***. Driver wasnt drinking, hes a county cop and knows the issues with drinking and boating as we all do. The good thing is, no one hurt, the folks that stopped to help are angels and the police were great to deal with, no hassles, told them what happen, why we the beer was in the cooler, today life is good.

I guess my point to new boaters. Be prepared, it can happen anytime, anyplace, freak accident. IF YOU CANT SWIM WERE A VEST. 1 person not being able to swim normally takes 2 or more lives with them.

And the flipping tour boat never stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont thing they will be boating for awhile, but my family is going out next weekend. Thank god, I could help her out. The funny part is 2 months ago while up there I was teasing her about wearing a jacket, but if she ever fell in I could save her butt, she laughed. On the way home, she reminded me what I told her 2 months prior. I reminder her I wasnt doing it again, next time she wears a jackets or sites on shore.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Scary Moment

1. A non-swimmer not wearing a PFD!! Everyone should be wearing a PFD in that environment.

2. A "county cop who knows issues about boating" getting surprised that big boats make BIG wakes when underweigh.

You all were very, very lucky. I hope you learned something.

Since this sort of thing usually only happens to drunks I think the old man who made the nasty remark can be forgiven. If you all had been drunk at least you would have had a reason (not an excuse).

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Glad everyone was OK. My SIL wears a lifejacket in the boat, she cant swim.

Ken

Next time best to leave the beer at home. Funny how "stuff just happins" when alcohol and boats mix........someone wasnt watchin the water

Moody Blue

Captain

Glad all made it out OK. Very lucky by the sound of it.

Everyone wears a PFD on my boat while under way. If they don't like it, they stay on shore. Accidents do happen, and an unconscious person without a PFD has little chance. Most believe they can "swim" but things are very different in a crisis situation. Shock and disorientation are big factors. Can they swim with a broken arm or leg? How long can they stay afloat if they had to? Rescue is not always close at hand. As pointed out, a panicking person can drag down numerous would-be rescuers. Many reasons to wear the PFD.

The other popular belief is that "if something happens I can put it on in the water". Ever tried it? Its next to impossible. Most likely you won't even be able to get to one, let alone put it on.

Thats my rant on PFD's for today.

MikDee

Banned

Thank God everyone made it out, without being seriously hurt! As Well as yourself trying to save that women (non-swimmer) you're lucky she didn't take you down with her. I don't believe alcohol had anything to do with this, and I'm with you on the rage to lash out at that thoughtless jackass, but it's nice to hear there were some thoughtfull caring people that helped.

Uraijit

Banned

Wow, I just don't understand why a person who cannot swim would not be wearing a PFD at all times when on or near the water. I would be terrified if I couldn't swim!

Glad everybody came away with no injuries other than pride. Hopefully everybody came away a little wiser as well.

Sounds like your BSA lifeguard training is a little fuzzy as well. If you're gonna go in after somebody, make sure you yourself are in a safe position to do so. It woulda taken 3 extra seconds to grab yourself a PFD, and another to take to her (assuming you had enough on board).

But when stuff like this starts happening, things get confusing, and it's easy to lose focus.

Reach, throw, row, THEN go (with something floaty!).

;)

Did you have a throwable device on board?

CATransplant

Admiral

The first question I ask anyone who is getting in my little boat is whether they can swim, and how well. If they don't swim regularly, and well, they get to wear a pfd at all times. Otherwise, they have one next to them on the boat if they wish.

Also, whenever I have a passenger, I wear a pfd, myself, whether the passenger does or not. I also make sure I have the lanyard on a belt loop, in case I go over the side (an unlikely thing).

Mostly I boat alone.

45Auto

Commander

From story above:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/metairie_man_dies_in_rescue_ef.html

Deputies, with no time to shed their equipment, charged into the surf still in uniform and saved about seven people who were struggling to make it back to shore. Austin said he is positive that had the deputies not arrived, there would have been more deaths.

Who needs PFDs? All you need is about 25 pounds of extra weight (belt, gun, extra mags, radio, bulletproof vest, cuffs, pepper spray, taser, baton, boots, etc) to enable you to save people in the water. Not knocking the deputies, just find it kind of funny.