SC fishing problems

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been out numerous times on the boat and from the dock areas and I have yet to manage to catch anything except for 2 turtles and a 3 foot gator. I've tried worms (real and fake), spoons, baby shad, etc and have yet to get anything to bite that was big enough to keep (2 8" stripe bass and 1 8" white bass). I fished for years growing up with my grandparents at their tanks and we would catch bass, crappie, perch, and cats without a problem on just worms (in Texas). I love fishing but I've yet to manage to catch anything worth keeping (and it's depressing). I'm not after the monster catch but would like to bring something home to cook. What am I doing wrong? I don't fill the boat with gas before I go, spray on bug spray, or handle things that would give off a negative scent. I live in Goose Creek, SC and normally fish on the Cooper River.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: SC fishing problems

What times are you fishing? Dunno specificaly about your river, but around here you need to either go at the buttcrack of dawn or early evening hours to catch any fish.... Middle of day better off drinkin a cold one at the house... At least till it cools of some more... Good luck, try different live baits, live fish is the way to go...

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've tried fishing at 6am all the way to 9pm. I caught the gator at about 8:30pm (mainly just messing with him as he was going after bobbers. We got some pics and then let him go.). I still love fishing (and so do my two youngest kids but it's becoming a let down to them to not catch anything).

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Troll Hot n Tot , Catch helgrimites at rocks and use as smallmouth bait ,jig crawdads live /artafical weedless hooks , Live large minnows . chicken peices on bottom, Tite line nightcrawlers .Rubber grubs weedless snap hook

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You ain't holdin' yer mouth right. Gotta hold it like thish, see?:p

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It doesn't sound like a fishing problem but more of a catchin problem. Go back to basics, find structure, fish there. Also have you concidered there may be no keepable fish in ths body of water? Hae you tried dynamite works well fo me on slow days, game warden went out with me one day, kept asking me if I knew he was the game warden, handed him a stick lite the fuse then ask him if he was going to fish or jack his jaws.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Get a couple tubes of live crickets and go Bluegill fishin' first to chase the skunk off and to get some fish slime on your hands. Your kids will enjoy catching some 'Gills and the larger ones are some of the best tasting fish there is.

You'll also catch Bass and Catfish on the live crickets too.Fish around docks and weeds. Get some ultra lite tackle if you don't already have some and spool it up with 6 lb. test clear line, you'll be surprised at what you will catch. You may even want to consider some cane poles.

Use a #8 long shank aberdeen hook about 2' below a small bobber with a small split shot mid ways.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You forgot to say what you do for a living but might want to wash dishes before going fishing to remove oils from hands. I know if I did work with hydrolic oil takes 2 days of washing dishes before I can catch fish. Be suprised how much this will help.

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll try the suggestions. I'm an instructor at a military school but I sometimes get to do some mechanic work there too.

stratos201s

Seaman Apprentice

I too am an instructor here in sc and frequent the cooper. I've had my best luck with the cheapo walmart spinner baits for largemouth bass and a dip bait for catfish. Fish cover and fishing dude is right. You better wash some dishes if you do anything close to what I do.....that sub has oil all over it. haha You'd be surprised what you can smell underwater when the only senses you got are for eating! Let me know how you fair.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe go on down the river to the mouth of the harbour/jetties where the saltwater mixes on the incoming tides. Catch some Trout, Redfish, Flounder, Whiting on Southern tip of Sullivan's Island around some of the rocks and jetties. Mud Minnows, live or cut Shrimp good bait. Good Luck!:)

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally had some luck. Past two days I've been out I've picked up a couple bass and a gar. Even better is that my boy caught one of them. I think the dishsoap has helped but I also think the water temp dropping about 10 degrees probably helped a lot too since the fish came back into the shallower water. It also turns out that the gar wasn't as hard to clean as everyone told me it would be. Going to experiment and see if it's any good to eat this weekend along with some more bass hopefully.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad you had some luck!
Let me assure you that when I think of all the times I went out with my old man and got skunked I don't really remember the getting skunked part and just the went out with my old man part.
That's what boats and fishing is all about. (and hot rods and motorbikes and gokarts and sailboats and RC cars and all the other stuff you can do with your kids)

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did forget to mention one other thing I caught yesterday. Backed the boat off the trailer and started off to the main river. Felt some vibration and hard right pull in the steering. Figured I'd picked up some seaweed (where I put in is pretty grassy). Tilted the motor up and proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes unwinding/cutting about 20 foot of 1/8" SS cable with a SS quick chain link (either trot line or gator rig) from around the prop hub and shaft. Was good to go after that. Wish people would keep track of their trash.