Saying HI from Chicago

golonaus

Recruit
Hi everybody.
my name is Daniel and Im a new owner of 2000 Bayliner Capri 1600.
My firs boat and dont know much about boating.
Planing to learn and use it on lake Michigan (when not to choppy)

any advices or experiences on this kind of boat?

Looking forward to be a part of this forum

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Welcome aboard Daniel!
I see a lot of small craft boating along the shores of Chicago. 1st advise from me would be to take a safe boating course. Next learn how to pull a trailer and back it up. Spend some time at the ramps and observe how others are doing it. But the biggest advise is to learn to read the weather. Know when to high-tail it off the lake before you get caught short. There are always stories of those who didn't and had to be rescued or paid the ultimate price.

RGrew176

Commander
Good luck with your project. As already stated if you have not yet done so take a safe boating course. Practice backing your boat and trailer prior to heading off to the launch ramp. Soon you will be an expert.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Pulling a trailer already good then you're ahead of the game! Learning the rules of the road as it were is the next biggest deal along with ramp etiquette. Those places can become pretty hostile at times. Then again is weather on Lake Michigan, it can change on you in a minute.

Do you plan on doing the service on your boat? What type drive does it have? Outboard, I/O?

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Welcome aboard! You are about to take on an addiction worse than tobacco. May be advisable to take a USCG Safe Boating course to learn the Rules of the Road etc. I believe you can do it online or in larger metro areas, like Chicago, in a classroom setting.

Fair winds and following seas, Friz

golonaus

Recruit
Thank You guys for a kind words.
I'm doing Safety course online for last couple of days. I'm one of those guys that hate to be unprepared.
Btw.
I'm running 90hp Mercury outboard.

Last edited: