Saw my first Black Squirrel

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I had heard that they were around here, but never saw one until this morning. Last night was the last night of sleeping aboard the boat for the season. As we were leaving the parking lot, this black squirrel crossed the road. Sure wished I had the camera!<br /><br />Then the wife and I came upon this road kill about 4 more miles down the road. It wasn't a skunk, but it had a black mask just like a racoon, but the body was all white. The tail was white with black bands. We even turned around to look at it again. Yep it was a white coon. Never saw one of those either.<br /><br />Has anyone else seen these critters with this color scheme? Weird to say the least.....

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Saw my first Black Squirrel

Black squirells are very common in New York City!<br /><br />Rarely see a grey one in the city!<br /><br />Never saw a white raccoon.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Black (melanistic) gray squirrels are fairly common in some places. New York City is one of those places and Ohio is another.<br /><br />There is also a non-melanistic color phase of fox squirrels that shows up in the Southeast. It is locally called a "cat" squirrel because it is black with white markings very similar to those commonly seen in cats. I killed one many years ago while hunting gray squirrels.<br /><br />I have seen albino racoons in zoos, but never in the wild.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

we have gray, black and red in our area SS, all<br />seem to perfer certain/unique habitats. rarely <br />see them intermingled?

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

We have nothing but grey squirrels around here except in 1 little town. That town has nothing but black squirrels and nobody around here has ever figured out why only that small town has them. Very weird. <br /><br />Never seen an albino raccoon before either. But I did catch the same albino catfish twice in one night before. Let it go both times even though we were keeping our catch. He was just too cool looking to kill.

ehenry

Commander

We have grey's, black, fox and I've seen ALbino's also. THe black squirrels are mainly along the Mississippi River Delta.

one more cast

Captain

Black,Red,Gray,and Fox squirrels are all here in upstate NY. I've only seen a few Black and Fox though.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Black squirrels inside the Capital beltway (DC), gray squirrels outside the beltway. They change within a block and like said before you never see them mingle. I always thought is was strange and only around here but now I see that I was wrong. I wonder what the reason is??

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

In the neiborhood we live in we have alot more black squirrels than greys.They are far more agressive towards the greys and drive them off.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Mostley gray squirrels around here, but you do see a all black one from time to time.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saw my first black squirrel while visiting a friend in St. Helens Michigan. Now it is on my wall at home! Nothing but red and greys here in KC.

FSHKPR

Ensign

we have a few black ones around and they are sharp looking. but nicest one i have seen is this little albino running around the neighborhood. complete with the pink eyes and every thing.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Huh, I din't know they were as wide spread as that. I think they are a neat looking critter. Probably because I'm not use to seeing them.<br /><br />My neighbor that is an avid outdoorman told me that the reds will fight the grey's and render them sterile. They do this by bitting off the testies of the grey squirrel. He said that the woods behind our houses were once filled with the greys. Then after about 25 years of them fighting over the territory that now all we see is the reds. It sure is weird how the survival of wild game dictates who wins.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took a trip to Ontario, Canada this summmer, and black squirrels are everywhere in that city.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br />told me that the reds will fight the grey's and render them sterile. They do this by bitting off the testies of the grey squirrel.
C'mon now...a red squirrel will kick the crap out of a grey, but biting off the family jewels :confused: Did he sell you that bridge also :D

tylerin

Commander

C'mon Gauge you know squirrels eat NUTS :D

gaugeguy

Captain

:D :D :D Good one Tylerin!!!<br /><br />When I was a kid my grandmother told me if I wanted to catch a grey squirrel I had to sprinkle salt on their tails. "As soon as salt hits their tail, they will freeze and you can catch them". That provided months worth of entertainment for my grandparents, I am sure. I'd climb trees, chase them around the yard, set elaborate Wiley Coyote traps...never could get the salt on their tails ;)

tylerin

Commander

Well Gauge like your Grandfather I have a little secret myself. Try eating their NUTS!!! :p

gaugeguy

Captain

Like SS, I think the wool was pulled over my sheep :p <br /><br />
eat.gif

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

My mom used to say the samething about salt on the birds tail I'm 46 and someday maybe I'll bag my first one.....