Satellite internet.

brother chris

Commander
I am trying to find a satellite internet provider.<br />Does anyone know of any? <br />I won't be back online until Monday to check, but any help would be appreciated.<br />Homerr: I think it was you who had satellite internet before, and you did not like it. Why?

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Satellite internet.

If you can avoid it at all costs, DO!<br /><br />The same problems as satellite TV will plague satellite internet (rain, cloudy, etc, etc). Most satellite internet providers also cannot provide the bandwidth to make it a worth while purchase. You might as well go back to dial up. <br /><br />I guess I really should ask before going to much further, what are your reasons for wanting to go with satellite internet?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have DIRECWAY.<br />Its not cable, more like the slower dsl, but better than any dialup.<br />Always on, reasonably fast. 2-6 seconds to load a page sure beats 3 minutes.<br /><br />Only the heaviest of storms will give you a problem.<br />No good if you are into online gaming though, because of the delays.<br /><br />Dish aiming is very critical, has to be dead on to get a strong signal.

eeboater

Commander

I had a very bad experience with a client who tried to use Directway for their ISP.<br /><br />It have expensive startup costs for performance that, honestly, isn't worth the cash.<br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

Good as a last resort. Like Roscoe said... beats dial up for surfing, you won't be happy gaming due to the latency.<br /><br />But I don't know if DIRECWAY has a Canadien agent.

Twidget

Commander

If you are going to use a VPN for anything, the fine print in the satellite ads say it wont work. Latency is too high.

Homerr

Commander

Ok... I'll try not to vent too much... LOL<br /><br />I had DirecWay Internet.<br /><br />When it worked, it worked fairly well, however you are subject to what they call "FAP" or "fair access policy"<br /><br />In short.. your bandwidth is limited. The more you use, the less you get within a certain time period (12 hours if memory serves)<br />In other words... if you downloaded 200mb within that period, it would take 12 hours to reset your cap. I found a program that would monitor how much you used, and how long it would take to reset. <br /><br />That was my biggest complaint.<br /><br />Second, the latency. You can forget any split-second Internet uses such as playing games like Quake, Unreal etc... Your signal has to travel 30 miles up, and 30 miles back to Earth. That translates into about a 300+ ping. An eternity when it comes to gaming.<br /><br /><br />Third, MULTIPLE billing errors. These people were worse that trying to close an AOL account. 'Nuff said!<br /><br />If you don't need split-second latency, and it's your only high-speed option, then I'd say go for it. There are a few programs and tweaks out there so you can optimize Direcway. Their 'bone-stock' system sucks... but you can modify it.<br /><br />If you need more info, I'll be glad to help:<br /><br />Homerr999 at msn.com<br /><br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, Direcway is available in Canada, the resort I go to set theirs up last spring. Much more expensive than what we pay here in the US, atleast theirs was, perhaps it was their "local" franchise dealer that increased the price.<br /><br />Never had a billing error in 4 years. Always the same price.<br /><br />I've got the 6000 system, no software, ethernet connection.<br /><br />I am stuck with only 1 other option in my area. It is very veerrrrry slooooow dialup, no dsl, constant disconnects, noisy old phone lines. <br /><br />Actually, the signal you send has to go from earth to sat, to earth then sat, then back to earth before it enters the internet. Then reverse the path to get the signal back to you.<br /><br />So it is making that 30 mile trip 8 times to get you something. Really not significant compared to the 1500 miles the signal has to travel to get down to the equator, then 1500 miles back.<br /><br />So to send and recieve a signal from iboats, the signal travels 3240 through the air, plus 3000-5000 miles thru the internet.<br /><br />If you want more bandwith and no limits, you can get it, but you better have a dang good reason for it because it will cost you a fortune. (see direcway business services)

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

The start up cost "equipment" use to be outrageous not sure what they are know though.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks for the replies fellas.<br />The reason I was inquiring is because of where I am located. <br />My choices are either: 1) find a 200' wireless router that I will have to put in the house and aim it at my trailer in order for it to work, or 2) satellite internet. <br />Those are my only choices I have. <br />The satellite internet seems really expensive. <br />Does anyone know if there is a 200 foot wireless router around? <br />The phone company said if I ran an ethernet cable for 200', it would not be very good reception.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have Starband (starband.com) satellite. I have been using it for about 5 years. It is not terrible (50/60 up and up to 300+ down). It is not good for gaming or vpn as noted, and heavy rain and cloud cover will affect it. It is about $70/mo. If you have no BB other options it is a good alternative, but it isn't my first choice. If I understand what you need, you just want to extend a connection a couple hundred feet. You might look at this <br /><br /> http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=267 <br /><br />It says it can extend 1300 ft outside and it is about $80 at tigerdirect.com. I have used a similar one and the range wasn't too bad. I was just extending a network port across a room, but we tested it indoors with walls and got a solid 150 ft out of it reliably. Worth a look.

SuzukiChopper

You could run CAT6 cabling and should be able to get 200' from it. Think you need a special switch though for CAT6. I've also seen runs with CAT5 that have EASILY been 200'. You could also setup a wireless router by a window facing the trailer and have the same kind of setup inside the trailer... that might work as well.

brother chris

Commander

nothreat: I just printed off the specks for the router. I am going to bring them to my local Future Shop and maybe they can set me up with one, or one similiar. <br />Suzukichopper: Really...you have seen CAT5 over 200' My telephone company rep said the reception would not be that good. Then again...the rep probably makes $8.00/hr...so what does he know? <br />Think I will take all this info to Future Shop and see what they say....or maybe a computer shop(they know more...since they are professionals). <br />I can't live without the net at home anymore. It is driving me crazy!!!

SuzukiChopper

Not only have I seen it, but I've done it and using it full time for work and general use. It's usually not recommended because CAT5 is for bit rates up to about 100Mbs, BUT you'll NEVER see those kinds of rates coming from an internet connection from a telco company. BTW who is your telco? Navigata? If you want to be sure run CAT6 that far. If you just make sure to keep the wire away from interference you'll be okay. If you think about the distances that telco's run their copper you'll realize you won't loose anything.<br /><br />EDIT: one more thing... don't think that everyone working at a comp. shop are professionals. Anyone with their A+ certification or MSCE can talk a talk to make anyone not technically inclined to believe them.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I have a Microsoft Wireless Router. It is in the living room (front of the house). I live on a corner.<br />My neighbor across the street and two doors down (behind my house) can pick up my network anywhere in his house. I have it passworded, so he can't access it, but his laptop says it is available.<br />I know this because we work in the same shop. :) <br />Maybe that would work. It was under $80.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Homerr

Commander

Our building at work has runs more than 200' from server to clients with no problems at all.<br /><br />if you're worried about the loss, heck.. build your own cat5 cable out of something larger.<br /><br />Just remember to shield it.<br /><br />I've also read articles that allows you to extend the range of a wireless router by installing an outside antenna with a small amplifier.<br /><br />I would try that route before dumping cash into any satellite system.<br /><br />H.

brother chris

Commander

Cool, thanks for all the info. :D <br />I am going to go to Future Shop and see which is the cheaper way to go. <br />This is a site I just found that tells me about the differences between the wires. They mention that there are no specs for CAT6 or CAT7. <br /> http://www.theheadwaters.com/cables/faq.htm#5 <br /><br />Here is a quote from the site. So, which wire do I get? CAT5 or CAT5e or CAT6? <br /><br /><br />1. What is the difference between CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7...<br /><br />The Simple Answer: <br />CAT5 is rated to 100M<br />CAT5e is rated to 350M<br />CAT6 and CAT6e is rated to 550M or 1000M depending on your source<br />CAT7 is supposedly rated to 700M or presumably 1000M<br /><br />Today there is no approved CAT6 or CAT7. While some folks are selling products they call Level 6 or 7, there aren’t even specs for them, making CAT5e the best available option. CAT6 cable is being made with 23 guage conductor wire as opposed to the slightly smaller 24 guage for CAT5e and also has a separator to handle crosstalk better.<br /><br />Both CAT5 and CAT5e have 100 ohm impedance and electrical characteristics supporting transmissions up to 100 MHz. The differences between CAT5 and CAT5e show in all aspects of performance: capacitance, frequency, resistance, attenuation, and NEXT. CAT5e components were designed with high-speed gigabit Ethernet in mind. While CAT5 components may function to some degree in a gigabit Ethernet, they perform below standard during high-data transfer scenarios. CAT5e cables work with ATM and gigabit speed products. Simply, if you are using a 100Mbps switch, get CAT5e cable instead of CAT5.<br /><br />CAT5e is formally called ANSI/TIA/EIA 568A-5 or simply Category 5e (the e stands for ‘enhanced’). CAT5e is completely backward compatible with current CAT5 equipment. The enhanced electrical performance of CAT5e ensures that the cable will support applications that require additional bandwidth, such as gigabit Ethernet or analog video.

SuzukiChopper

CAT5 or CAT5e will work in your case no problems. CAT6 is usually used for gigabit ethernet. To get the full benefits of CAT6 though you need gigabit ethernet switches and network cards.