saltwater

knarrman

Cadet
since i've had my boat i've only taken it out on freshwater....taking in to oc, md this summer...<br />just wondering if anyone knows the routine in that area or similar areas...such as do i just launch the boat and get it to the rental dock i'm staying at for the week...or do i keep on the trailer until i want to use it...any advice would be helpful...thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: saltwater

Unless you have the bottom of the boat painted with Anti Fouling paint to protect it from marine life, I'd strongly suggest that you keep it trailered.... and wash it down after you pull it out.

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Even if you don't have the bottom painted with anti fouling paint, a week should not be bad. I keep my boat at a boatel and so I often leave it sit in the water at the dock if I am going to use it on consective days and have had no problems. If you are going to use it every day then I would dock it. <br /><br />Make sure that your zinc anode is in good shape to prevent corrosion and flush the engine with fresh water after you pull it from salt water and give the boat a good wash down. Also if you have power tilt/trim, I would raise the motor out of the water while sitting between uses.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Seems like you are saying only a week. That the case, don't worry, but do as 71wahaler says and wash down good. Salt is VERY corrosive. I leave my 20 footer in for no longer than 3 weeks, before out and a bath

Frank I.

Seaman Apprentice

A week is not a problem,but not to much more since warm summer waters tend to give you an ugly stain on the sides & transom.Flush when your done and tilt motor up,make sure zincs are good and a nice bath when your done.My boat is docked in salt water 8 months a year(bottom painted of course)but you would never think so if you saw it,but I donate a lot of time to washing/waxing and maintainence.But over time,the salt and sun do take there toll <br />Remember "You cant fool with mother nature"

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you leave the boat in the water, at the end of the week run your hand over the bottom of the hull either while it is still in the water or just after you take it out. If it is glass smooth give it a rinse with fresh water & go about your day. If it feels like sandpaper (baby barnacles) you need to do a thorough job of cleaning. With barnacles (babies or grandads) it is vital that you get them off ASAP after pulling it out of the water. <br /><br />A lot depends on the temperature of the water and where you are at. I have left mine in the water in the Florida Keys at one place for a week and had no growth - 3 months later and 50 miles farther south and - - growth.