Saltwater flush procedure for 1997 XR6 150hp?

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just aquired a flats boat with a 1997 Mercury XR6 150 hp engine and need info on the proper way to saltwater flush this engine using the aft garden hose fitting on the engine.<br /><br /> Anything other than just removing the plug temporariliy and just running fresh water through the system with the engine shut off?How long should I flush it?<br /> Thanks In Advance..

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Saltwater flush procedure for 1997 XR6 150hp?

Amazing..What a huge response..next time I'll just ask where the spark plugs go..

LubeDude

Admiral

Do I detect just a bit of attitude here???<br /><br /><br />When I used to use my boats in salt water, I ran them for about 10 15 minutes in the lake on the way home. Never held anyone up at the ramp either! Almost never anyone at this ramp.<br /><br />Equally as important is that you keep plenty of grease on the prop splines, and the shaft of the lower unit where it goes into the block.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run my boat in salt water all the time, what I do, I use salt-away. I hooked up a quick connect, with a shut off that stays on the engine, the other half of the quick connect goes on my salt-away flusher. After using the boat, (every time), I half fill the salt-away flusher with the solution, hook it to the hose plug the quick connects together open the valve on the engine part of the connecter, set the flusher to rinse, (Water only), for a couple of minutes, then reset the flusher to soap,(solution), run it through until it's almost stops pouring foam, & shut off hose. Disconnect hose & flusher leaving a slight residue of solution in the engine. Then shut off valve in engine side of quick connect. I like salt-away it seems to work for me, though some say it may be no better than dish washing liquid, that I don't know. I recomend it. You can get the cheap quick connect at home depot, I've used that one for 10 years, no problems. Good Luck, Joe