Salt Water Trolling Motor

golver

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 21'Wellcraft V20 that will be used mostly in salt water. I do not know in what insistence I would need a trolling motor, but assume since I will be primarily fishing from this boat, I will need one. <br /><br />Does anyone have any recommendations? The cheaper the better as I don’t know how often I will really use it. <br />What pound thrust should I look at?<br /><br />Lastly, would a gas power trolling motor be better then an electric for salt water fishing? I will be fishing around Jamestown, Newport, and Narraganset Rhode Island.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Salt Water Trolling Motor

They do make some nice salt water electrics, but from what you've described, you're looking for a "kicker" motor. That would be a gas motor, 8-15 horse, and you'll need a mounting bracket. That will get you a heck of a lot farther than one of them battery powered ones..........

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Salt Water Trolling Motor

Fully rigged your setup weights somewhere around 3000 lbs. If you insisted on using an electric you'd probably be looking at a 36V model with a total outlay (motor, batteries, etc. etc.) of over $1000, and I question whether you'd be happy with the performance in anything other then a dead calm, if that.<br /><br />Go with a gas motor. If you do a quick topic search here you'll find several threads about how to figure out the appropriate size.