Salt water operation for Merc 3.0 - Need advice

Gary Graycar

Cadet
Newbie IB/OB guy here. But now I am a little nervous about salt water running with my new Alpha Merc 3.0. Been reading horror stories about manifolds and risers giving up quick. Any advice or secrets about avoiding these and other related problems is certainly appreciated. I can tell you I will switch to synthetic lube for both engine and lower unit after 20 hours. Thanks.

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Salt water operation for Merc 3.0 - Need advice

i dont think there are any quick tips.. its a complicated subject and much has been written about it.. u would do best to type something like "saltwater corrosion boats" into google and have a read..<br /><br />trog100

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use the recommended Mercruiser gear lube in the drive, it is already synthetic. Engine oil is up to you.<br />Since it's a 3.0L, I assume you have a trailerable boat and won't be keeping it in the water all the time, so when you take it out, just flush it with Salt-Away <br />Other than that, there isn't much else you can do on that manifold and riser. Do you have a fresh water cooling system installed?

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it's raw water cooled, then flushing after each use is the ticket for long life.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

a closed cooling kit will extend the life of your engine but they are pricey. if you get one that will include your exhaust manifold on the closed side it will eventually pay for itself in replacement cost savings.

tommays

Admiral

if you trailer and flush saltwater its not a big deal i have seen many people get towards 20 years out of manifolds here<br /><br /> but thats on long island and are fresh water is as pure and mineral free as it gets and i think thats a big part of it<br /><br /> <br />if you dock the boat in saltwater then everything you here about manifold life and outdrive upkeep is true<br /><br />tommays

Gary Graycar

Cadet

Thanks all for the info. <br />There is fresh water boating on Long Island?

tommays

Admiral

there is no freshwater boating but the water we are able to flush out the motor with after we boat in saltwater is very pure compared to some places<br /><br />flushing out the motor with a set of muffs on the outdrive after the boat is on the trailer allows the fresh water to flush out all the saltwater and greatly extends the life of the motor<br /><br />tommays

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i spose it makes sense to give the entire rear end of the boat a good hose down with freshwater.. cleaning the outside aint as important as cleaning the inside but its probably worth doing.. get the salt out of all the nooks and crannnies..<br /><br />trailered boat say 100 hours in saltwater over the season.. stored for 8660 hours out of the saltwater.. looked at that way it kinda makes u realize how important regular flushing is.. he he <br /><br />hmm.. my boat is moored in freshwater for the full 8760 hours every year.. hmmm.. kinda makes me wonder how it all pans out.. it even makes me worry a litle more about freshwater corrosion than i previously did.. he he he<br /><br />i think too much.. he he <br /><br />trog100

Gary Graycar

Cadet

That is ironic tommays. Here in norteast Florida, the water is terrible probably because of the mineral content. Sitting on top of a aquafier, you would expect fresh spring water.<br />When you think of NY, most would conjur up visions of the East River where life cease to exist.<br />But I have heard that NYC area water is some of the best in the United States.