Salt or fresh water?

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice
My 1960 Johnson is colored a cream/white. I,m told that the engine color designates weather it is set for salt water running.Stainless stuff inside.<br />Any help? I want to do some Bay Fishing this summer off the coast of Maine.

D

DJ

Re: Salt or fresh water?

In 1960 there was NO color designation salt/fresh.<br /><br />You have what you have. It will live in salt, WITH EXCEPTIONAL CARE.

ledgefinder

Ensign
Re: Salt or fresh water?

Salt won't bother a 1960 Johnson much at all. Flush it with freshwater afterwards if you feel guilty. Spray everything down, particulary under the hood, with OMC/Bombardier 6-n-1. <br /><br />Evinrudes & Johnsons (same motor) are pretty good with corrosion control. Not the same for Mercs until mid 1980s & Yamahas until 1993. <br /><br />If it's a smaller motor that you take off the boat, be careful to handle it so the powerhead is always higher than the lower part of the motor. The exhaust pipe carries saltwater in it, and any left over can easily drain right into the cylinders if you get the lower end higher than the powerhead. Can sieze the motor up - my neighbor ruined a nice 1960's white Johnson 5.5 that way. Usually when you set the motor on the wharf, if you set it so the back of the motor is down, the lower unit will naturally be lower than the powerhead.