Salt-Away Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyudizky

Seaman
Salt-Away

Anyone used this stuff, is it worth the cost.

I am using my bass boat (with steel trailer) in the saltwater for the next three months and will be flushing, rinsing, scrubing, washing both boat and trailer really, really good everytime it comes out of the water and am seriously considering getting this stuff, if it works???

Willing to do anything necessary to keep from ruining anything!!!

Thanks, Kyle

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Salt-Away Products

I have been using my bass boat and steel trailer in salt water for years without it. I simply rinse everything down with fresh water. Keep in mind the first time you put your trailer in the water the cycle of its demise begins. Rinsing and salt away will only delay the inevitable. Keep a good eye on your trailer for rust and be sure to rinse every time. Welcome to Iboats and please do not create more than one thread on the same topic. also the search engine is your friend this topic has been covered many times.

kyudizky

Seaman

Turbowes,

Thanks for your input/suggestions.

I don't see the harm in posting the same topic in mutliple locations to increase exposure, in efforts to solicite more helpful responces from forum members, which is the purpose of the forum. I don't think it pains anyone to maybe, if they happen to be inside 2 of the 30 categories that I posted in, read the 3 word title of my post, with no obligation to open either one if they don't choose.

The forums ability to create new threads/topics might as well be disabled, since virtually every topic has been covered at some point in the thousands upon thousands of post already on it. I am aware of the search engine feature and I guess that it is not my friend as it returned every topic under the sun that had nothing to do with my topic. Searching the exact words in my topic title, my thread showed up three pages deap into the results of the search.

Again, I appreciate the help, but next time don't bother if I'm going to get a hand slap for using this helpful forum as it is intended.

Kyle

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't mean offense but I think that using the search engine on this site is pretty simple and very useful. For example the only opinion you have got on this thread is from me but if you search theres tons of info and opinions on the product. Creating double threads doesn't help because most just click the new posts icon and your thread will be seen. If you don't get much response(you haven't) its because the question has been answered by the people reading so many times they just bypass it(the same question was asked on the same day). You will also notice that my opinion is shared about the subject ;)

This is a post from the same day as yours http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=344385&highlight=salt

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Way to slap him down!! Plus, his answer was stupid. The whole point of saltaway is to delay the inevitable. It is not going to protect you forever from the effects of saltwater, but it WILL delay those effects. And I agree, the search on this site sucks...

Do a search and you will find my answer to be sufficient and flushing with fresh water(alot of it) is the best way and cheapest. We all don't share your intricate knowledge and experience on the boating industry:rolleyes: after all the only thread you have started is about how you dont know positive from negative;)

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have two friends that use it, they feel good after they do it. My neighbor is an old guy that fishes almost exclusively in salt water and does not use anything other than fresh water to flush/rinse his set up. Their boats are in similar shape and are only one year apart in age. Long term it may help but it would be impossible to know if it was salt-away or good cleaning habits.

I think if so many unnecessary threads were not created the search feature would be so much more useful. I too have searched and come upon a bunch of information that was the same or not applicable. This would be minimized if so many of the same topics had not been created.

kyudizky

Seaman

TurboWes,

It other post that you are pointing out as being the same topic/same day, was posted 9 hours after I posted, so it would have been hard for the information from that thread to be of much use to me at the time i posted my thread. Seams you might be slapping the wrong hand on this one.

The problem with the multiple threads on the same topic is a by-product of this forums own structure. Being that theres 100 different categories to post in, where multiple categories might be applicable for a given topic, you end up with this "problem" you speak of. Remember, not all members here read the forum in the same manner you do, i know I don't.

The search engine is easy to use, however, for my topic was very ineffective, leading my to post my thread.

Theres hundreds of post created on here daily, of which, i would bet that 98% has been covered on a previous thread. As a matter of fact, I searched your vasoline thread and found plenty other information on the topic, with sharing experiences, so by your rules, you commited the same crime i did. Where I'm from, we call that the pot calling the kettle black!

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My .02 I'm 100% in the ocean 2-3 times a month in the summer. I use the stuff in the spray bottle. I rinse the boat and trailer really well and then spray it on the parts I?m concerned about: Springs, hubs, bunk fasteners, jack, outboard motor mounts, and in the lights. I don?t rise it off and it seems to work well. I?ve had my current trailer for 4 years from new and it still looking and function great. One squirt bottle is 8 bucks and lasts about 15 trips. Small price to pay even if it helps only a little so I think it?s worth it. The thing with the hose adapter is a lot more expensive, and I would buy and use it if I have a bigger more expensive boat to protect.

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use it, seems to work!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Salt-Away

Anyone used this stuff, is it worth the cost.

I am using my bass boat (with steel trailer) in the saltwater for the next three months and will be flushing, rinsing, scrubing, washing both boat and trailer really, really good everytime it comes out of the water and am seriously considering getting this stuff, if it works???

Willing to do anything necessary to keep from ruining anything!!!

Thanks, Kyle

Kyle,
as i said in another post, i have used salt away for years,i use it on my twin engine Scarab,which runs exclusively in salt water,both here and Fla. the trailer is aluminum but you can see the immediate effects of SA just by rinsing it down..as opposed to plain water,which still shows signs of salt when dry. its expensive,yea ,but no where near as expensive as engine's and drives,i hook up the motors to a flush kit and flush after every use. last year i had the motors torn down for 800 hr maintaince..there were NO signs of rust or deterioration, for me thats worth every penny.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

*The personal insults in this thread are not acceptable.

*Multiple postings of the same thread are not allowed.

*Opening even one thread without reviewing the rules is rather foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.