Safety chains

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm replacing the safety chains on my trailer and wondered how to get the correct length. I have a 16 foot boat and the total weight is about 1300 lbs. Has anyone tried the safety cables and should you use the s-hooks or quick links for hook up?<br /><br />Dutch

JRJ

Commander
Re: Safety chains

I haven't used cables....but the chains should be long enough to not catch on anything, but short enough when Xed for hookup to cradle the tongue, keeping it from hitting the pavement if the trailer comes unhooked. The chain or cable should also be strong enough to control whatever load you have. I like quick links, cause the rubber keepers that came with my S-hooks got lost right away.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've always had chains on trailers until most recent boat which has cables. I've had mixed feeling on cables. I like that they tend to coil themselves up and not hang down too low. But, the coiling up can make them get tangled. As JRJ said, be sure they are long enough to cross under the tongue to form an X.<br /><br />What are "quick links". I've only had S connectors.

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea what they said above about chains. The only problem I have with quick links are they aren't as quick to hook up and sometimes the "screw" coupler gets stuck and you need a pair of pliers to remove them. That being said I only use the quick links... I like the extra safty margine of knowing they won't fall off.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replys. My old chains are pretty bad looking from years of use and they're almost to short to make a X under the hitch. Anyone have any suggestions for the best place to buy them. Trailer shops,Walmart or online?<br /><br />Dutch

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dutch, you can get chain just about anyplace.<br />Maybe a stainless to resist rust.<br /><br />What about the clip type connectors?<br />I have seen them used on camping trailers before.<br />They come in different sizes and strengths.