Safety chain upgrade?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Looking at the safety chains on the trailer made me question if they can really support the intended load. They look to be the OEM chains, and are quite rusty. Thinking of getting some new galvanized chain in the next larger size (I think these are less than 1/4" but not sure).

Anyone ever do this?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Safety chain upgrade?

I bought a set rated for 3500# (IIRC) at WalMArt. More expensive than bulk chain, but I knew I had adequate capacity. They also came with links to attack to the tow vehicle.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

One thing that people often over look when sizing cable, chains, etc. is the connection point. Your safety chain is only as good as your bow hook.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he meant the safety chains from the trailer to the tow vehicle, not the bow safety chain.

I replaced the chains on my last trailer. It was like $20 or something for the chain. Just bolted them on and felt much safer and secure to me.

I will probably replace the chains on my current trailer too...they're rusty and smallish looking. The bulk chain I got for my bow safety chain is 3/8 and looks way thicker than my safety chains.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How did you attach hooks to the chains? I didn't see any galvanized hooks in the store. Maybe I can cut off the old hooks and attach with a nut/bolt. On second thought, using one of the links that can open and screw closed might be better.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooks aren't good enough unless they have the springs to prevent them from bouncing off, little rubber bands to hold them on, or quick links.

The chains I bought for my last trailer had the hooks. I just bought the rubber things to keep the chains on. The quick links are better though.

A lot of people still run the hooks through the hitch and secure the hooks to their own chains. That isn't legal in most parts.

The little oval chain links with the screwy thing are called quick links.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I think you can get "cold shot" hooks. Open end to put through the chain link and then hit it with a sledge hammer and it's closed for good.

MRS

Commander

When I replaced mine I bought the plastic coated cables and used 1/2 bolts to mount them to the trailor. They came with the snap hooks already attached to the cables I do like them better than the chains and they were rated at 3500 lbs.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How did you attach hooks to the chains? I didn't see any galvanized hooks in the store. Maybe I can cut off the old hooks and attach with a nut/bolt. On second thought, using one of the links that can open and screw closed might be better.
The screw close links are great. (just my opinion though) We use them in our industrial environment for a multitude of tasks.

Bifflefan

Commander

When I replaced mine I bought the plastic coated cables and used 1/2 bolts to mount them to the trailor. They came with the snap hooks already attached to the cables I do like them better than the chains and they were rated at 3500 lbs.

i bought the same, but mine are the curly cables. I love them.

Shadow66

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why do you like the cables better? What is the advantage?

The reason I ask is: My trailer was stolen and I recently got the same identical one from Magic tilt. The ONLY difference is they sent the new one with chains instead of coated cables like the last one had. At first I thought maybe I was being ripped, but when I looked it up and asked around it seems not only are they the same price but there is no real advantage to either of them that I can find anywhere. Magic tilt said they can send me the cable if I want, but there is no real difference. I asked them why they sent me chain, they said it was a distributor thing and they vary what they use.

If you or anyone here knows something I don't please let me know.

MRS

Commander

I like them because they do not scratch the trailor up easier to handle and come with the snap hooks. Plus they do not rust up like the chains do......

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can get chain that has a plastic coating on it to help with scratching and also looks better and can be painted if need be