Safe Driving Award........

ehenry

Commander
Well, after driving for almost 2.5 years the youngun came home with his first speeding ticket. City cop got him tooling along at 75 in a 55 zone. We just changed insurace companies too and got a really good rate too. Guess I can kiss that good bye.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Safe Driving Award........

Yes education can be very exspensive however it cost less than being stupid.<br /><br />I would consider that an education cost so in the future he will not be stupid.

dolluper

Captain

Time to buy him a bycikle :D cheaper to fix no body work needed and if he gets a speedy ticket on it you would have to reward him :D

KaGee

Admiral

I made mine pay the difference. Seemed fair to me.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> I made mine pay the difference. Seemed fair to me.
If you do as KaGee did, your son will not forget this lesson. If he has no income, find other ways (chores, etc.) to get that difference out of him. Stick to whatever you decide to do to teach him this "lesson".<br /><br />Make sure you do show your appreciation for 2.5 years of safe driving as well!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Whatever you do, don't change insurance companies now. This will throw a flag up to all insurance companies.<br /><br />All they see is $$$$$ when something like this happens. They just raise that rate to what they want and you pay it. If you change, it's in the "system" and any insurance company will give you high rates, so I guess just grin and bare it and let the boy pay the difference, he might learn from this.

ehenry

Commander

Oh, he has income ! ! He's already standing on shakey ground because of his grades too! He's in debt to his mamma over some deal they made. I can't really be mad at him over getting the ticket cause of my own driving record because of speeding which finally got clean bout 5 years back. I did tell him that he would be taking the class that kids can take when the get their first speeding ticket. One of the joys of living in a small town is that my wife knows some of the high ranking officials at the police department. She is going to talk to one of them and see what they can do for us. If it gets fixed thats fine if nothing else maybe he can get it lowered. From what I understand anything thats 15 mph over the limit counts as a wreckless driving as far as insurance is concerned and thats almost as bad as a DUI. Not sure though.

mattttt25

Commander

that's the reason my parents never had me on their policy. i knew that was the deal from day one if i wanted to drive. surprisingly, i had no tickets until age 21, when i could afford it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I bought my children cars. They bought their own insurance and paid operating and upkeep.<br /><br />Lots of education very quickly.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Mine paid the inflation rate too. Then I launched them. They found out how much their "RIGHT" cost them out on their own. Cruel World!

ehenry

Commander

Wife just called her friend at the police station is going to fix us up on the ticket but Kyle is still going to be required to take the safe driving class and will have to bear any expense thats goes along with it.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by efhenry:<br />friend at the police station is going to fix us up on the ticket
Hehe.. like the Sopranos... "I'll 'take 'CARE ufit."<br /><br />Sean

LadyFish

Admiral

efhenry, you can now take the Safe Driving Course online for around $30. He still has to get the required 8 hours in but it may be an option. I'm not sure but years ago if you presented your "Safe Driving Course Certificate" to your insurance company you could get a reduction in rates.<br /><br />Good luck!

ehenry

Commander

Ms Ladyfish, letting him take it online will be too easy on him. I want him to have to go to the class....take time out of his busy schedule to go take this thing. Plus pay anya nd all fees involved. I hope he's learned a lesson from this. Thanks anyway. :)

D

DJ

Wife just called her friend at the police station is going to fix us up on the ticket but Kyle is still going to be required to take the safe driving class and will have to bear any expense thats goes along with it.<br />
The WORST thing you could do, IMHO.<br /><br />What are you teaching him? Get some friends in high places? What about HONESTY and paying yuour duesfor your mistakes?<br /><br />Driving class/schmiving class, if that's all the punishment there is, he won't learn a thing.

JRJ

Commander

E.F., sounds like you and the boy skate this time. I hope he does learn from this for your sake. 75 is no big deal on an Interstate but it sure could be on a street with little kids. Good luck.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

DJ, the insurance rates going up is a huge ripoff, not a punishment.<br /><br />Trust me, that 8 hours in the driving class is a pretty good punishment. I just took it for the 6th time last month.<br /><br />In Texas you can be up to 24 mph over the limit and still take the class.<br /><br />Ken

ehenry

Commander

Whats actually happening, DJ, is that the ticket isnt being taken care of. Our friend is helping us follow the the proper proceedure for my son to go through the Safe Driving class so the ticket will not show up on his record nor our insurance. This is standard proceedure that they follow on a first time offender.

aspeck

Staff member

I was agreeing with DJ on this one - glad you clarified it, EF. Okay, good for you, and the boy. I do hope he learns a lesson. I know I did. Got stopped for doing 100MPH in a 55 zone. Glad I was insured through the dealership - didn't raise our already ridiculous rates, but I did walk for 15 days. Learned a lesson also - am more careful where I chose to speed, and how fast I go - HA! I don't want to jinks myself, but it has been quite a number of years since I have had a traffic violation. I learned my lesson - had to go through the ordeal and face the music - lost wheels, lost priviledges, etc.<br /><br />Yea, experience is a good teacher.